Did I do this vertical parallax scrolling correctly?

Started by
6 comments, last by Brain 9 years, 3 months ago

So I've just started messing with parallax scrolling and I think I nailed down horizontal movement but I feel that the vertical movement looks a bit weird.

Here's a gif of my game:

LuPNnMi.gif

I just need help with on how I could fix this. Unless this is how is suppose to look and I'm just over thinking it.

Advertisement

To me that looks like the camera is basically set at a given height, and "rotates up" when you jump.

Maybe try having the layers towards the back move a lot less in y? So the mountains basically remain where they are, while the foreground moves as quickly as it does now.

Might be worth experimenting with, I agree that it looks somewhat weird.

Hello to all my stalkers.

To me that looks like the camera is basically set at a given height, and "rotates up" when you jump.

Maybe try having the layers towards the back move a lot less in y? So the mountains basically remain where they are, while the foreground moves as quickly as it does now.

Might be worth experimenting with, I agree that it looks somewhat weird.

Alright so I've been tinkering around and now I have this:

MBmcBb1.gif

What do you think?

I think the parallax layers look much nicer.

I'm not sure I particularly like the scale of the world and the scale of the jump, but that is up to your game's look and feel.

I'm not sure I particularly like the scale of the world and the scale of the jump, but that is up to your game's look and feel.

I agree, but that can probably be fixed by using a larger sprite for the character, so the size of the jump doesn't look so massive and seems closer to the jump size of say, mario.

The second image makes me think the nearest layer of rocks must be really close to the camera. If that's the idea, then it's success!

Previously "Krohm"

I think the parallax layers look much nicer.

Yeah it is a bit excessive so I've changed it a it here:

MFczv2u.gif

The second image makes me think the nearest layer of rocks must be really close to the camera. If that's the idea, then it's success!

Yep that's the goal!

Sorry for the downvote :( i mis-clicked and it seems the software won't let me undo it! *growl*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement