Looking for some good profiler

Started by
10 comments, last by Chetanhl 9 years, 3 months ago

Hi, I am looking for some good profiler for Direct3D11 that would work on win7. Basically what I am looking for is something to show me Timeline of Frames rendered and detailed analysis of selective frames to analyse a trace with time spent in each section of code, etc.It would be great if I can get timings between GPU events also.

I tried Nvidia Nsight Visual studio edition couple of months back but it kept crashing so I deleted it and I don't think it (or maybe i failed to find it) provides detailed frame analysis in terms of trace and time spend in each section.

My Game Development Blog : chetanjags.wordpress.com

Advertisement

RenderDoc is Free, Opensource and works great! It is very lightweight compared to NSight and can be used as a portable standalone exe, yet is still very powerful.

It Provides GPU duration in each drawcall, timeline of captured frames, and of course many more features which should facilitate your requirements.

It has saved lunch for many people on many occasions. ;)

Of course theres also AMD PerfStudio and the VS2012+ graphical debugger which are popular. Both of them also work great! (I find RenderDoc to be alot faster and easier to use however, but that personal preference).

Your best bet is to just try them all out and see what works best for you!

The graphics debugger in Visual Studio 2013 is fairly decent, and it seems to be getting better with each service pack or update or whatever they are calling them now. I'm not sure if it is included in the free express edition (I have an MSDN subscription through work, so I usually use the Premium version).

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

I'm not sure if it is included in the free express edition (I have an MSDN subscription through work, so I usually use the Premium version).

Assuming the OP is using it for personal use, the new Community Edition of Visual Studio is free and is equivalent to the Professional Edition (And therefore has the graphics debugger). This version has replaced the Express versions of VS.

The old Express edition did not have Graphics Debugger support (at least in VS2012)

I haven't tried it yet, but I recently stumbled acrosshttps://github.com/Celtoys/Remotery/ which is an intrusive/embedded profiler.

I use my own hand-rolled intrusive profiler based on the same ideas as the above, and it's proven invaluable.
Just keep in mind that VS has _two_ graphics debuggers; one is a modified old copy of PIX and the other is the hot new stuff. The latter is dependent on kernel changes in Windows 8.1 which is why there's two included (the old one is used on older Windows kernels).

The old one should work fine for your simple needs, but as your needs grow, you might want to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

I started using Intel's GPA (graphics performance analyzer) when Microsoft killed off PIX.

It doesn't seem to exist as a stand alone application anymore (packaged with INDE), but you might want to try the frame analyzer in this software package:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/gpa

RenderDoc is Free, Opensource and works great! It is very lightweight compared to NSight and can be used as a portable standalone exe, yet is still very powerful.

It Provides GPU duration in each drawcall, timeline of captured frames, and of course many more features which should facilitate your requirements.

It has saved lunch for many people on many occasions. ;)

Of course theres also AMD PerfStudio and the VS2012+ graphical debugger which are popular. Both of them also work great! (I find RenderDoc to be alot faster and easier to use however, but that personal preference).

Your best bet is to just try them all out and see what works best for you!

@theflamingskunk

Yes RenderDoc is awesome I have been using it for months now and I find it way more useful than visual graphics debugger. It saved me nights on many occassions :)

That been said I never realized we can use it for profiling also (feeling really stupid right now). It works great specially with GPU events.

The graphics debugger in Visual Studio 2013 is fairly decent, and it seems to be getting better with each service pack or update or whatever they are calling them now. I'm not sure if it is included in the free express edition (I have an MSDN subscription through work, so I usually use the Premium version).

Visual Graphics Debugger works only on windows 8 (windows 8 sux) so thats not an option for me.

I haven't tried it yet, but I recently stumbled acrosshttps://github.com/Celtoys/Remotery/ which is an intrusive/embedded profiler.

I use my own hand-rolled intrusive profiler based on the same ideas as the above, and it's proven invaluable.

Remotery sounds cool. Even though renderdoc worked for now but I will check this out for sure maybe on weekend or something. Looks like a opensoure commercial grade profiler and seems very easy to use.

I tried AMD perfstudio but my app keep crashing maybe I have to go through documentation and figure out how to set it up properly. I think i will keep this and Intel GPA in top of my list for later since render doc server my purpose for now.

Thank you all

My Game Development Blog : chetanjags.wordpress.com

Visual Graphics Debugger works only on windows 8 (windows 8 sux) so thats not an option for me.

Windows 8 is, in my experience, a pretty decent upgrade on Win7, with the caveat that you need to use something like Classic Shell to bypass all the Metro garbage and get a usable start menu back. At that point, it is effectively a better Win7. Thankfully, from the looks of the Windows 10 preview, Microsoft is backpedaling from the worst of the Windows 8 UI idiocy.

For example, Windows 8 will install and run on my 2009 Asus EeePC 901, and is actually snappier than the XP that it came with. Windows 7 is a trainwreck there.

Now, whoever was behind putting the Metro start screen into Server 2012 deserves their own special circle of hell

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

Although a bit older and not integrated in VS, pix should do the trick and give you lots of useful debugging information

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement