• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

what do you want to know about making your own sounds?

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 xoxos   Members   -  Reputation: 167

4Likes

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

i've made VST format synthesizers for modeling various acoustic/physical objects and dynamics for some time, and have often thought my best contribution would be to write an article, which i can foresee scheduling sometime early 2015 lol

being an older and unsocial person, it is difficult for me to discern where my audience is.. so i can be thorough enough but not too thorough et c.

as an example of what i have to present, fauna vst is a 5 segment kelly-lochbaum tract which basically means it has a few junctions where you can set the aperture/reflectivity and form rudimentary "vocal tract" sounds. despite being a primitive, low part count model, it is quite effective when applied:

similarly, friction vst is another one of my dumb models which happens to be applicable for a wide range of sounds you might not be able to record so easily around the house.

a minimalist article/tutorial would be to say "download the .dll, plop it in a VST host like minihost, then fiddle with it and think about what you're doing until you get sounds you want" which would sort of fail as an article and really ought to be evident to everyone. except, of course, most people are entirely unaware that there are general purpose synthesizers for modeling acoustic phenomenon.

similar "elementary dynamic" synths are probably available in various java physics demonstrations...

as these are elementary circuits pertinent to physical phenomenon, it's not too much of an abstraction that sounds can't be patched/specified well from a relatively uninformed viewpoint.. it really only takes practice thinking in terms of translation..

..so.. after writing all that, the most thorough article i can contrive would be to say exactly this.. and make a more exhaustive list of resources.

(i have recently heard that fauna was used in the making of "no man's sky", which i have recently heard is supposed to be some impending game blockbuster.. i've had some other pecunious persons in game audio mention using my VST, but i don't see any awareness among forum users)

so without presenting myself gracelessly as a self-interested retailer or being too patronising, what kinds of things do you think you would like to be told about modeling your own samples?

neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net

Sponsor:

#2 Sacaldur   Members   -  Reputation: 599

0Likes

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:01 AM

There absolutely are people around here, who don't know anything about sound editing - and I'm an example.
Since I never did anything related to sound effects (except for including them in games), I can only say, you could write about any/every topic you can and want to write about.

In my opinion, you shouldn't worry to much about who is here in the forum and who would read your article, instead you should just pick your target group and write your article for this group. There will be completely unexperienced and professionals readers as well, but you can't serve both of them at the same time.

#3 xoxos   Members   -  Reputation: 167

0Likes

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

you're right, i should break it into segments with practical examples of application, which would make it easier for users to pick out the parts useful to them.

neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net

#4 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 20225

0Likes

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:23 PM

I'm going to move you to the Music & Sound forum -- not a lot of people check Article Writing, so you might get some better feedback there. smile.png

I don't have any specific suggestions, but I'm interested to read whatever you write.

Edited by jbadams, Yesterday, 04:42 AM.

#5 braindigitalis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1710

0Likes

Posted Yesterday, 04:30 AM

I know nothing about creating sound effects but this is something I would be interested in reading about.

I would definitely read your articles, looking forwards to seeing them :)

Games Currently In Development:
Currently rewriting Firework Factory - Casual Puzzler for PC in Direct3D 11. Latest Journal Entry: Collision detection, skybox and software cursor (25-Jan-2015).

#6 BellJ   Members   -  Reputation: 139

0Likes

Posted Today, 01:32 AM

Due to the fact that everything you just said made no sense to me, I could definitely go for a sound design article. I might even suggest making video tutorials so that you can really go in-depth. 

Edited by BellJ, Today, 01:33 AM.

PARTNERS