Promotional texts for my game

Started by
10 comments, last by Acharis 9 years ago

The game is a 4X space empire builder for PC. Here is a full topic:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/663110-started-working-on-my-4x-emperor-game-thing/

The game is kind of original, many traditional assumptions of 4X genre were challenged, many standard features were cut down/replaced. Also, the game is purely single player with assymetrical gameplay (aliens play by different rules). One of the core design goals was "no micromanagement" (it's probably the most visible aspect of the game). Also, it kind of gets a minimalistic feel (I'm not sure), since many stuff was cut down or replaced with simplier versions. On one hand it seems to be fast paced and small (mechanics), on the other the scale seems epic (500 planets total, you are supposed to get like 50 planets at the early game and around 150-200 and the end of the game). As for the feel, I aim, for the player to feel like an Emperor (throne room, audiences, prestige) and not like a logistics officers (moving units around abstracted a lot, you can't even give orders to an individual ship), a lot of boring mechanics were abstracted or automatized.

Question:

What I look for is some promotional text (just the main points, what I should try to focus on, I can reword it later) that would be compatible with that game/mechanics/title/mood. Note, that at that point I can still change the game itself, so it's partially a game design question too.

My current concept:

Title: Pocket Space Empire (I would hate to change that one :))

Description: lightweight, fastpaced, no micromanagement, epic scale, turn based, space empire builder

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

I think there may be benefit to emphasize it being "casual strategy/simulation game" , implying "strategy for dummies" and for grandma. (Grandma may insist to be Empress though)

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Hmmm

1. As a player, I would not want to mplay "casual strategy" (whatever it means), it sounds wrong to me

2. Actually... grandma would not be able to play that game :) It's quite complex. Traditional "build a ship then send it over a planet" is something a granny would understand, but my hierarchical fleet system (squadrons belong to fleets, assignement of chaing of command officers) would be rather harder to grasp :D

I don't know, maybe I should throw away the "lightweight" part? You know, I wanted to convey a cozy feeling of a compacted gameplay, but a complex one and of an epic scale. One of the biggest points of the game is that you can manage a huge empire easily (in a traditional 4X it would be a nightmare to handle 100 planets, here 10 or 100 makes no difference).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

OK, what you think of this?

* Fast paced, Epic scale, No micromanagement

* Focus on you being the Emperor not a logistics officer (audiences, appointing governors & admirals, court politics, surviving assassination attempts, granting charters to corporations, crushing rebels)

* Asymmetric gameplay where aliens are truly alien & challenging non cheating AI

* 100% turn based experience

(kind of leghtly, might need to cut down some...)

You could go with a humorous statement like, "You deserve to own your own galaxy!"

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Wow! I had not thought to use this section of the forum for help in writing up the promotion sections of games, but I can see it helping.

Okay now that that "light bulb" moment has passed time to help.

Are you looking for a write that moves people to download/play your game or are you generating it for better search rankings?

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Wow! I had not thought to use this section of the forum for help in writing up the promotion sections of games, but I can see it helping.

Okay now that that "light bulb" moment has passed time to help.

Are you looking for a write that moves people to download/play your game or are you generating it for better search rankings?

Promotional texts and webpage content, technical documentation such as design documents and flowcarts, campaign books for tabletop games, game scripts, and general fiction topics are all officially on-topic for the writing forum. cool.png

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

“No micromanagement” is like promoting your game with “not a FPS.” :P

I always see Tomonobu Itagaki describing his new game Devil's Third as basically, “Genre-breaking third person Action and FPS!” or even just, “Third person and FPS!”

I would suggest something similarly simple for your game. “Epic-scale turn-based Strategy!” or something like that. :)

Good luck!

To make it appealing to players. Or to be more precise "so people who would love my game would realize from the description that's the game they were waiting for". I'm less intersted in appealing to masses.

“Epic-scale turn-based Strategy!”
Everyone who make 4X says that :D It would not be distingishable from the crowd (althrough "turn based" is not so obvious, so probaly I should mention that part).

Everyone who make 4X says that biggrin.png

Keep in mind the market gravitates towards what works. They probably all say it for a good reason.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement