Political System in Sandbox MMO

Started by
7 comments, last by AuthenticOwl 9 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I would like to pose a theoritical question to the gamedev community that I need tons of advice on.

Let's say I managed to get the funding to make a sandbox MMORPG and I wanted to add a political system. Let us assume I use a democratic system where official are elected by the public.
Here are my questions.

1) How in-depth would it need to be for people interested in this feature to want to play a politician? Basically, what is too much and what is too little?

2) What should different office holders be able to do? Like locally a mayor can do what exactly? Regionally the governor can do what exactly? And so on...

3) What motivation should there be for players to care about their nation and actually want to vote? In real life I only voted once cause the ruling party is always winning so I stopped. So maybe a rule that says one party could only be in power for two consecutive terms? Or a coup/civil war feature?

To help you answer my question you would need some information on what the actual game is. Imagine a world in a near future setting with various races or more accurately species (think star wars races as an example). All these races are native to this world so there's no space or true sci-fi setting.

The game would also feature an aging and permadeath system so that assinating a target would get him or her out of the office as well as the character dying a natural death. This is due to time flowing in the game at an faster rate then in our world. What would make people care enough to want to do that though?

So imagine a game where your character could be unique races with their own histories and culture. Imagine a game where you can have a job in most cool careers in life like a firefighter, policeman, businessman, politician, fashion designer, farmer, etc.

A game with a real economy and the possiblity for conquest.

Thanks a lot in advance. Feel free to ask me to clarify if what I say does not make sense. Also if you just need more info that would help you help me please just tell me.

I know MMOs are usually taboo topics due to it requiring so much money to make but like I mentioned it is all theoritical.
Advertisement
I think that this sort of system is a very high level system... it would require quite a few lower level systems for it to be useful or even noticeable. IRL, some of the most obviously things politicians affect are 1)Taxes, this would require quite an advanced economics system. 2) Public services... which would require a public services engine and 3) Peace/War Time... would only require some PVP systems... and 4) Laws... probably the hardest to part to make interesting in a game... (arch age is the only game I know of that has any real punishment for crime, every other game just pretty much assumes that if the player can acomplish it in game then it must be legal).

Taxes: You need to justify why you are charging taxes... people hate taxes, if you implement taxes just so politicians can raise lower them then players will always vote only for the politicans that have the lowest taxes... or not play the game because who wants to pay taxes anyway?! So, a tax system has to tie closely to an economic system (To give something to tax) and the public services system (To give a reason to tax).
There is a deficit in video games regarding economic systems also... primarily because real life economics are much more complex than video game economics. In video games things rarely break or require replacement, also... there is rarely a difference of quality... generally in video games you only want cheap sword A over expensive sword B because you couldn't afford sword B yet. The player will make their character eat gruel and toast daily because it's a quarter the price of roast turkey and they have the same hp regen rate, besides they can buy gruel and toast from any food vendor but have to travel to a specific person for toasted dragon giblets and that's just a pain. So, you need to enhance the economics engine in such a way that money tends to change hands often. This means Armor/Weapons needing replaced more often (or be costly to repair), consumable usage needs to be a requirement rather than a bonus, quality of goods need to have an effect other than simple, always buy the expensive best quality items. Non useful items/upgrades need to be meaningful (Why buy your PC a marble dining table over the simple wooden one? Or why buy a entertainment device if the PC doesn't use it for anything other than "Check out this cool object I have for no reason other than showing it off" etc.). This way you can create both jobs and cash flow... and then taxes... and then political system to adjust taxes.

As for the reason for taxes... you could have politicians decide how much of the budget to apply towards which upgrades.
Public services in MMOs today are also widely hand waved away... for example, in WoW ogrimar doesn't need to collect enough taxes to pay for more guards to prevent the alliance from overthrowing it... it just needs to spawn a couple dozen guards for free when they are required.
To represent the department of transportation you could make it so players get a sliding bonus to movement speed while on roads based on the amount of taxes the politician allotted to road maintenance... perhaps politicians could pay 500g per mile to install a highway, 200 to install a road and 100 to install a path. Then each month they put X gold per mile per road such that movement is Y... um... for example, the kingom has 10miles of hiway, 50miles of road and 200 miles of paths. If the politician pays 1g/mile/road then they need to collect 10*5+50*2+200=450g per month to grant a 1% speed increase on paths, 2%increase on roads and 5% increase on hiways. They could instead pay 5g/mile/road meaning they need to collect 250+500+1000=1750g/month for a 5% increase on paths, 10% increase on roads and 25%increase on hiways.

A similar system could be done for experience... tax money allocated toward schooling could provide exp boosts. Tax money toward security could reduce the chances/decrease the power of bandits meet while traveling the country side. Taxes toward military could enable/disable certain set pieces in PVP maps. Taxes toward public transportation could enable/disable/speed up fast travel options (Perhaps paying 1000g per month lets a ferry appear on the hour to move players from town A to town B instantly... paying 2000g makes the ferry appear every half hour... or instead of being instant... just be much quicker then walking would have been and more money=faster)

Given a strong enough economics engine you could further enhance the control a politican has by choosing to pay for/purchase these upgrades using gold or raw materials... using gold they could tax the entire population equally... using raw materials they could tax individual industries. Taxing miners for example may put 1 ore in the public treasury whenever a player mines for ore in the kingdom... thus only affecting players who chose the mining profession. This is where I think you would end up getting the most bang for your buck with a political engine... Merchants end up voting for politicians that want to tax the miners rather then the merchants. The Miners want to elect the leader that reduces the taxes on building/repairing mining sites, the rich players vote for the politicians that give them the most public service buffs... and so on.

Also, in a majority of MMOs today, the players primary revenue comes from adventuring and questing... this would not be very good for a political system. Every player has the same primary goal... obtain the best equipment/items in the game. If everyone uses the same primary path (adventuring/questing) to obtain that goal then all political decisions will either 1) Affect everyone equally (causing a dominant political platform to emerge which cause playerse to lose interest in voting because the winner doesn't matter because they will all run the kingdom the same) or 2) Affect some people very little (a small boon/deficit to a minor revenue source that would more likely cause that revenue source to be abandoned b/c it wasn't worth the effort and people won't vote because it doesn't make any difference to their game).

Another major issue with politics IRL vs video games is that many of the conflicts of Real life politics deal with class differences. Rich vs. Poor. In a video game, everyone wants to be rich and no one want to be poor... if you end up implementing a political system that allows the rich to get richer while repressing the poor then you may have achieved quite a realistic model... but you won't be getting a lot of new players to enjoy it.

**EDIT** Sorry about formatting... For the life of me I can't figure out why my browser won't post things the way i formatted them.
Dude that is brilliant!!! I thank you very much!!! You gave me a foundation to focus on!!! I'll post here again or PM you for more insight if that's okay with you. Thanks again.

I don't want to reveal too much but what I have planned is careers. Adventuring is just one of those and by no means the most exciting (police and firefighters are there as well). My point being everyone will receive either a salary or a commision basically payment from another party. So your name is Indiana Jones and the Jim Jones maybe ask you to go get the Rod of Charisma rumoured to be somewhere on the Island of Awesomeness. So people won't be adventuring just for the sake of adventuring unless they really want to.

Politics is about overlapping influences and control used to meet some goal(s).

Ive looked into designs for political/faction influences for MMORPGS and have the following ideas:

You have high level (non-player) Entities which you then use "influence maps" to calculate the effects of multiple power structures as to what rules govern different areas. The players carry out actions to effect the centers and strengths of these entities with various costs involved .

Those strength of influence then allow 'payout' (of whatever) which is applied to achieving whatever goals you world system allows (and some common 'points' metric which will act as an indicator of success/winning.

Variation in the map 'terrain' can vary what tactics need to be used to influence an area (ie rural vs urban, rich vs poor...)

There may be independant power structures for different social aspects which define what the players can manipulate in your world system.

How these different aspects interact (and the terrain they are employed on) can lead to the game having more complex situational interactions (more ways to manipulate in different locals for a players 'gains')

These entity influences can employ fuzzy logic type math to generalize the effects of overlaps -- strong core control areas, some middle area, a border area where influences overlap significantly and areas outside of entity control. Multiple factors with potentially irregular equations/endcases can be employed (like decreasing returns and other non-linear reactions). The current state of an area has an effect upon the efficiency/costs of maintaining or disrupting control. Adjacency of like/different influence can have some reinforcing/negating effects.

The changes to the control happens not instantly, but on some regular time interval and sometimes more suddenly by certain types of events. This gives players time to counteract actions of their opponents before things shift significantly (and not everyone can be ONLINE when things change, so that base interval has to take that into account)

Once the current 'influence' is determined across the map, the local map areas are run by the rules/policies of the controlling entity (or shadow rules if the entities arent held to public policies -- players decide that and how far they want to depart from the public supported agendas). Usually the effectt is to regenerate the political assets needed to be spent on the next cycle.

One thing you have to watch out for, and add compensators for, are sudden pendulum swings/loopholes which destabilize your political map (often to a point where it is stuck with too much power that cannot be countered/dislodged, or allow snowballing to overwhelm opponents control) Much of the 'gains'/asset value generated then is likely to have to be employed to maintain the current control (leaving only a small amount to emply for expasion.).

External events of varying magnitudes should be able to happen to 'shake things up' and to generate opportunities or requiring 'damage control'.

Cooperation between players shoud not become a loophole (should be closer to a zero sum game at a certain point with accelerating competition as a players total control increases )

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

The job of politicians is to basically ensure that the system can adapt to changes by creating new policies/laws and such. (of course it takes a long time to perfectly adapt the system to the environment)

Basically, you need a changing environment if you want politicians to be useful.

So try to come up with ways to change the environment, and ways the politicians can change the system to respond.

The response is probably the easier part, because its mostly just deciding where public funds go (and where they come from) and creating some arbitrary regulations to restrict what people can do. Like if some regenerating resource is running low, politicians could increase its taxing, use public funds to increase rate of regeneration, or apply regulations to how much of that resource can be gathered (time of day limit, limit per person, whatever).

Some things dont change but still require constant effort because you can never perfectly adapt the system, like creating more and better roads and other such relatively unlimited progress.

You should also think about how to support the 'power structure' through artificial game features.

You could make it very rigid with lets say "ruler" and "politicians" and "lesser politicians" and very well specified tasks for each and systems for how they get and lose the positions.

You could also make a more flexible system that allows people to organize by themselves, with built in support for organization and communication and recordkeeping (things like appointing people to positions, creating position descriptions, setting up voting systems, documenting regulations and whatnot...)

Or you could just add chat and offline messaging system and call it done.

o3o

I've developed an engine for economics. It's made for RTS but you could adjust it for FPS. It depends on construction and operation of buildings (capital). The workers generate labour points (labour-seconds) which turn the gears of the buildings, to turn inputs into outputs. Resources must be transported from supplier buildings to demander buildings, which could have transactions of money. I haven't implemented things like subsidies to different industries, taxes on different businesses, or permits to build certain types of buildings to different firms, but these are the things that those in power could control. There would be a separation between firms (economic) and states (political).

@wodinoneeye
"External events of
varying magnitudes
should be able to
happen to 'shake
things up' and to
generate opportunities
or requiring 'damage
control'."

Could external factors be anything from a natural disaster, to NPC mobs raiding a town or even another player country attacking? I believe the whole idea is brilliant because not only can the org in power do damage control but their main oppositing party can use that as a weapon to cast doubt on the rulers.

"Cooperation between
players shoud not
become a loophole
(should be closer to a
zero sum game at a
certain point with
accelerating
competition as a
players total control
increases)"

I want to make sure I understand this concept. Do you mean say guild A and guild B are both 100 players strong. They ally giving them the martial and voting power of 200 players. Guild A's enemies (Guild of 80) and Guild B's enemies (Guild of 130) should potentially be a barrier that would have to overcome?

@Waterlimon
"So try to come up with
ways to change the
environment, and
ways the politicians
can change the system
to respond."

This is so true and like Owl said would require lower level systems. So I need to flesh out those systems first. My biggest fear is that I make it too complicated by adding predefined text in drop boxes of what can be changed. Is there a way I can do it without predefined texts of what the option are regarding policies? My ideal would be a politician suggesting to plant a tree for every one you chop down for example.. the vote supports it.. the law enforces it (players).. not a magical something that stops you from chopping a tree if you didnt plant one.

@polyfrag
"I've developed an
engine for economics.
It's made for RTS but
you could adjust it for
FPS. It depends on
construction and
operation of buildings
(capital). The workers
generate labour points
(labour-seconds)
which turn the gears of
the buildings, to turn
inputs into outputs."

I love this! My only question is how involved would the player be and feel regarding this process? The way I'm thinking on how my careers will work is it being part time. What I mean is I wont force players to be in the job 9-5. They will get an alert to do something like a cop alerted to a crime scene for instance. Now they get a base salary lets say cops get 10000 money per ingame month.. how many times they responds and how they perform will influence that number so they could end up making less or more (overtime).

Thank you guys for all your replies. :}

@wodinoneeye "External events of varying magnitudes should be able to happen to 'shake things up' and to generate opportunities or requiring 'damage control'."

-- Could external factors be anything from a natural disaster, to NPC mobs raiding a town or even another player country attacking? I believe the whole idea is brilliant because not only can the org in power do damage control but their main oppositing party can use that as a weapon to cast doubt on the rulers.

Yes any/all depending on what your 'real world' is, which the politicos 'run' or organize/control (for all the polulation who are not the politicos) but who may have to be convinced/satisfied by the politicos utility to them.

Having events makes for uncertainty (so the game is not just a bean-counting game) and there are risks (like using up your asset/resources on a political push and not having a reserve for something unforseen). Also the different types of crisis (and windfalls too) can require different tactics/countermeasures (of all the kinds of actions the players can carry out). A war for example can force you to seek cooperation with someone you might otherwise not have as an ally. Ditto when a windfall to an opponent suddenly calls for quick action instead of some systematic campaign.

I mentioned in another posting that some events (shorter 4X game) may hit all the players (to be fair if its major) -- and that could create a climate of change across the whole world, which all the players now may have to scramble to react to (an possibly knock someone for a loop who thought they were ahead of everyone else)

--- --- ---

@wodinoneeye "Cooperation between players should not become a loophole (should be closer to a zero sum game at a certain point with accelerating competition as a players total control increases)"

-- I want to make sure I understand this concept. Do you mean say guild A and guild B are both 100 players strong. They ally giving them the martial and voting power of 200 players. Guild A's enemies (Guild of 80) and Guild B's enemies (Guild of 130) should potentially be a barrier that would have to overcome?

That could be a case where the act of allying causes opponents to ally (and they may be better at it) secret treaties are such and were common because public declarations can cause issues within the population (interior climate stability/priorities) vs external entities (balance of enemies and allies and neutrals -- normalcy effecting the base economy (whatever that is in your game) which is to be manipulated as a source of power to have politics over). It wasnt always clear WHO would actually become the ally in changing times (ie- pre ww1 the french were the concern of the british before german growth of power, and treaties with small powers (serbia) triggered bigger treaty activations (and mobilizations all round).

Having a well delared ally has its advantages too (does the undelying game economics gain by this in some ways, but with limitations in other ways...)

Is your system the pure metric of vote count? Or does the power value of those vote's advantage vary (by the government type ie - government for the governed vs government mostly by/for the leaders) depending on the aspects/condition types which really influence 'control' and then types of actions allowable. 80 votes might mean alot for internal politics, but not so much much for external where military resourec or economic of your area is the important measure (and the consensus of having 80/80 or 70/80, etc.. which then frees use of those resources is more importatnt). A dictatorship with only 10 'votes' but a massive military can out-do a tribal council of 100 chiefs of nomadic peoples...

Being allied can also incur costs (you now inherit THEIR enemies) - when THEIR decisions/actions precipitate reactions YOU have to make (so for that game mechanism 'alliances' of more than trivial definition would need some kind of agreed upon options with limitations defined (which can cause secondary politics between even allied entities when the 'agreed upon' conditions/actions/deals cant or a intentionally aren;t met and applications of pressure to try to gain compliance) A whole graduation of typed action magnitudes (usually with increasing costs). The world map of 'areas' becomes a terrain with advantageous/influential positions (and other liabilities) and thus positioning yourself (real world not so freely depending on how world spanning things operate - by historic era etc...).

Each faction may have their own agendas (or special priorities THEY need to stay in power locally) which can interfere in one or more aspects externally (ex- you can be partially in alliance and partially competitors for resources)

(At some point it does have to be generalized to not be so convoluted as our Real World, and to preserve YOUR sanity, since complexity increases the game rules/logic/simulations by the square and the balancing/testing of that by the cube) You are going for MORE detailed politics (than a game where it is secondary), so some of these ideas are given as areas to increase the complexity some.

I think my original point was once the politics controlled by a single player grows much larger - more and more things work against them as a built in limitation (ie- old command control limitations from various games - distance/size), so if they try to get even larger -- holding a coalition together, satisfying enough of those under you for their goals (complicated when there are more who can have contentions between each other ). At that level it can become a whole 'nuther game, as it becomes personalities of the players and not just judging resourec/political points (example - historic king of Poland was often a Lithuanian because even though the king had little power it still had great prestige and import when wars happened, and rival aristocratic families within Poland blocked each others members from taking the position...) SO players playing 'king of the mountain' can happen for some large power block in your game and that coalition can destroy itself until the players wise up and work together sufficiently sharing advantage gained by the coalitions existance.

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

polyfrog brought up an interesting point about taxes when he mentioned subsidies. The Tax/Public services system works well to provide a global passive presence, subsidies might be a good place to give politicians an active role. They could be a quest giver of sorts.. if they could be notified of nearby quest turn-ins they could become a duplicate turn-in point allowing players to get double rewards for the quest. So a politician could promote an industry by loitering around its quest hubs.

Making the politician the quest turn in would be interesting in that it promotes interaction between the politician and the voter, but it might cause unnecessary restrictions on the politician players freedom to enjoy the game. Perhaps the politician class could have some kind of "Hold rally" ability. It would spawn a game object that acted as the quest turn in point when the player left a particular radius (or logged off).

Actually, and I may be rambling here... but it might be better yet to make it such that the politician is always holding a rally somewhere, the ability only allows the politician to move where it is, and when the player is close enough to the rally he becomes the quest turn in point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement