3D video game in C++ with OpenGL and DirectX 10

Started by
25 comments, last by bioglaze 9 years, 2 months ago

How can I get a platform to download for 3D video game in C++ with OpenGL and DirectX 10?

Advertisement

To get a platform, you could go to newegg.com and buy a windows computer (or linux or mac or whatever, but directx is only compatible with windows), or just use the platform your using to post here on gamedev.

also, i would use directx 11 since its the same thing as 10 but an upgrade.

You won't be using both opengl and directx when running a game, so you might just want to choose one or the other.

Your question suggests you aren't really ready to be writing a 3D game with C++ and a graphics API but...

Visual Studio is free and, with the correct SDKs, can do what you want.

I'm honestly not really sure what you're asking here. Are you looking for help with finding tools that you can use to develop games?

It is not clear what you are asking as the other posters have said. There are engines out there that support both OpenGL and DirectX. If you are looking to do this yourself you would need to write separate renderers - keep all of the operating system code separate from the graphics code. The main reason for doing this would be for cross platform functionality, but in most of those cases people usually just use OpenGL.

Could you reiterate what it is you are looking for?

It is not clear what you are asking as the other posters have said. There are engines out there that support both OpenGL and DirectX. If you are looking to do this yourself you would need to write separate renderers - keep all of the operating system code separate from the graphics code. The main reason for doing this would be for cross platform functionality, but in most of those cases people usually just use OpenGL.

I have a source code for 3D video game In C++ which is for Visual Studio 20005. Is it compatible for later versions of VS? Which one is best fit?

I have a source code for 3D video game In C++ which is for Visual Studio 20005. Is it compatible for later versions of VS? Which one is best fit?

I have Windows 8.1. Is Direct SDK built in this windows 8.1.

Short answer, it probably won't work without being adapted to suit newer apis.

The project format for visual studio has changed since then for starters and the directx sdk has moved on to directx 11. The 8.1 platform sdk most likely doesn't have the headers to build the game properly. I would guess it would be directx 8 or 9 at best.

Are you planning to actually create your own game or are you just trying to compile someone else's source code that you've downloaded?

Short answer, it probably won't work without being adapted to suit newer apis.

The project format for visual studio has changed since then for starters and the directx sdk has moved on to directx 11. The 8.1 platform sdk most likely doesn't have the headers to build the game properly. I would guess it would be directx 8 or 9 at best.

Are you planning to actually create your own game or are you just trying to compile someone else's source code that you've downloaded?

both, so I have to download DirectX 9 or just visual studio with 3 months free trial

Visual studio is free forever if you just take a look at the information Microsoft provide you. You don't need the enterprise version or ultimate version.

I guarantee you'll have problems compiling the code and getting it going, how much programming experience do you have?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement