Looking for guidance on developing a mobile multiplayer app

Started by
2 comments, last by greyi9 9 years, 2 months ago

I am beginning a project unlike anything I have done before and I'd really appreciate if anyone would be willing to look over my game plan and see if I am making any overly optimistic assumptions, etc. I would also appreciate any links to good reference material on this sort of project!

Game Plan:

I am interested in making a multiplayer mobile simulator game in which the users add objects to the simulator but otherwise do not control much else. For this reason I am hoping I will be able to write the majority of the game in C++ without graphics other than a simple management UI. The simulator will involve a complex ai system and will require processing at least one ai actor for each user but no physics and no player controlled actors. After I have the simulator reporting accurately, I would then be interested in putting the mobile app together that reads data from my server and translates that into a visual representation for the user. I am not sure what language I will use for the mobile app, but I am considering C#.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisement

That is an awfully steep learning curve. It looks like you want to suddenly add:

* Mobile development, including emulators, remote debugging, and different CPU than you are likely used to with the PC

* A visual representation (but you say "without graphics") implemented on an OS you are unfamiliar with

* AI systems

* Network programming

* Possibly a new, unfamiliar language

And it looks like you want to do all of that at once.

My suggestion would be to take those one at a time. Pick ONE thing, figure out how that single item works works, gain some confidence with it. Then pick another ONE thing, figure out how that single item works, gain some confidence with it.

Repeat five times.

Hi Frob,

Making a multiplayer game is quite a hard task as you surely know.

In the attached tutorial you will find explanations on how to develop a multiplayer game like Fun Run, using Nextpeer's SDK:

https://www.nextpeer.com/ufo-run-tutorial

I am sure it will help you a lot.

Dror

Hi Frob, thank you for the response! I agree that does sound like a lot to learn, I had not considered all those aspects!

I'll start working with C++ and ai while I build the server logic and not touch the mobile element at all. This is the part that does not require any graphics and is also the part that interests me the most. I just hope that I will not have to completely rewrite the software once I learn what is required by the mobile part of the game!

Hi Dror,

Huge thanks for the tutorial link! Checking it out now!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement