Some very n00b questions...

Started by
3 comments, last by MelonBurrito 9 years, 1 month ago

(Edit: I'm sorry for not seeing the For beginners section of the forum! I didn't know it was a forum in of it self. I would hate to repost, could someone please move it to the proper forum, sorry for the inconvience!)

I'm not sure if this is correctly placed in the forum but I must ask...

Where do I start?

I'm very interested in trying to make a game. But I find myself going crazy in every aspect of the game itself and not sure of where to start in terms of, animation, programing, audio, or any other part of the game.

I have a lot of ideas in my head that I have written and drawn on paper. But I'm not sure about how to get that into a computer and make it move. I know what steps I must take, but I'm just not sure where to start...because as far as my research goes, one man making a game can break a dude. Of course a simple game is where I know I should start. But I know nothing of programming. I only know how to draw, I know I have a creative mind when it comes to concepts, however...I am not sure how to really express this into the form of gaming. I am wanting to learn, however, that natrually takes time.

I'm not sure which asset of the game to immerse my self in right now. Or which direction I should be going in, in order to begin making a game. Should I be learning coding? If so, what langauge?

Should I continue teaching myself in animations and level design?

Should I take it on myself to learn about making music fitting for the overall concept?

Or should I take it on myself to write the story of the game (while simpler games may have little to no or simple story, I have a larger idea in my head that I feel could be very successful)?

I'm really here for a little bit of guidance in getting myself started within this. And also....something in the back of my head...if I take myself in the direction of any of these individual facets....I would like to be able to work a job within it that pays me enough to live (rather than working constant two part time jobs). I know that a lot of these thing take a serious commitment and self investment....but i am not sure where it is good and conductive to really invest myself given my lacking knowledge in computer science, and my perhaps juvenille notions of how good or bad my ideas and game art may be...

Could I have advice please smile.png

Advertisement

Mandatory reading

You might find a lot of answers, or at least ways to start answering your questions here.

In addition, this sub-forum should help cover a lot of the basics.

I think you've tackling a very broad task, and focusing a bit more your effort may be desirable.

Have a good read, and feel free to come back with any unanswered question.

(BTW, Sloperama is also a good place to start!)

Well, the art part by itself is entirely possible to work as a job. For-pay game art jobs come in 3 types: freelance work for small games, salary work for big games, and self-motivated creation of content packs which are then sold online. Making the art alone for a medium-sized game takes a minimum of several months, so it may be more practical to specialize in the art part and team up with someone else who has specialized in the programming part.

If you want to make the whole game yourself though, this can be done, generally by using one of the development kits available for making small online and PC games. Flash used to rule that position for 2D games, but it's on the way out now; I'm not personally sure what the replacement will be, but someone around here probably knows. For 3D games Unity is big and maybe still getting bigger. You can look at games similar to what you imagine making, maybe on Steam's greenlight thing, and see what people are using to make them.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

1. (Edit: I'm sorry for not seeing the For beginners section of the forum! I didn't know it was a forum in of it self. I would hate to repost, could someone please move it to the proper forum, sorry for the inconvience!)
I'm not sure if this is correctly placed in the forum but I must ask...
2. not sure of where to start in terms of, animation, programing, audio, or any other part of the game.
3. I have a lot of ideas in my head that I have written and drawn on paper. But I'm not sure about how to get that into a computer and make it move. ...Should I be learning coding? If so, what langauge?
4. Should I continue teaching myself in animations and level design?
5. Should I take it on myself to learn about making music fitting for the overall concept?
6. Or should I take it on myself to write the story of the game
7....I would like to be able to work a job

1. Yes, this forum (Game Design is where you posted originally) is not the right place for all these questions - and For Beginners also does not encompass everything you're asking.
2. Animation: Visual Arts forum. Programming: For Beginners forum. Audio: Music and Sound forum. Confused questions about jobs: Game Industry Job Advice forum.
3. Ask that question at For Beginners.
4. Do that, if that's what you enjoy!
5. Do that, if that's what you enjoy!
6. Do that, if that's what you enjoy! You don't need to do it all. Just do the parts you enjoy. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson40.htm and http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.htm
7. Moving this to the Game Industry Job Advice forum. As orymus advised you, read the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you for the new resources!

It's just that....I can imagine myself enjoying any one of these facets, but that in itself overwhelms me...because any of these facets take from what I have read and previously researched....a good couple of years to nail the skill down...and I am not going to assume that I am some form of svant(I'm not sure how to spell that >.<) in this.

I'll do some reading and get back to this with more questions.

And thanks for the new advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement