Unity 5 or Unreal engine 4

Started by
33 comments, last by Anton Qvarfordt 8 years, 9 months ago

i am a indie game developer and i am thinking to move to a new game engine but i am totally confused between unity5 and unreal engine 4(4.7),

can you guys please suggest me one, here the specifications-:

-i want to make 3d(not only fps) as well as 2d games

-i like more platforms(last gen too)

-As now both are free i don't care about the cost

-Ease of use

-graphics also matter a bit

-more learning resources

-i am a team of one

-programming language doesn't matter much(i like the bluprint system too)

i know that when i started to learn one of them i would be hard for me to change so it should help me in a long run too...

thanks,

--Gamedeveloper0--

Sherry Saini

Biker? Artist? Gamer,?Fitness Freak? living in the moment.⌛ Before i bojack things up. ? 28 June ?Twitter - www.twitter.com/IAmSherrySaini www.SherryGames.com

Advertisement

Unreal and Unity are both very, very good engines. Now that the barrier to entry is so low for both of them, which engine to use is fairly subjective.

I'd suggest selecting a simple gameplay mechanic from your game, then try and implement it each engine. It may take you a bit more time but you'll get a feel for each engine's workflow, and be in a much better position to choose. Time well spent smile.png

Thanks orangeatang for the reply, today I installed both unty 5 and unreal engine 4 unity was about 1.2 gb to download and unreal engine was about 4 gb to download thats a big difference I will try a simple fps game by importing some of my models and will see which does it better. Both of the engines have demos of that inbuilt but I will see which is easier to myself and my only doubt us that unreal may do better in fps games and unity in 2d
Sherry Saini

Biker? Artist? Gamer,?Fitness Freak? living in the moment.⌛ Before i bojack things up. ? 28 June ?Twitter - www.twitter.com/IAmSherrySaini www.SherryGames.com

Really an unanswerable question :)

You simply need to get your hands dirty and feel for yourself what engine you prefer to work with.

It will take time, but it will be time well spent.

Too many projects; too much time

If you want to release on lots of platforms, doesn't unity support way more than unreal engine? If this is a deciding factor, consider it carefully but remember support for other platforms might just be added to unreal engine at a later date...

Is this going to be the new "vs" question now? No more DirectX vs. OpenGL? :D

If you want to release on lots of platforms, doesn't unity support way more than unreal engine?

As far as I know, they both support all major desktop, mobile and console platforms. From Unreal's webpage:

What platforms are supported?
Unreal Engine 4 enables all developers to deploy projects to Windows PC, Mac OS X, iOS, Android, VR (supporting Oculus Rift and Gear VR now, as well as others coming soon), Linux, SteamOS, and HTML5... Xbox One and PS4 console support is available at no additional cost to developers who are registered developers for the respective platform.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I think that in the platforming case unity is ahead of unreal as unity supports last gen consoles too, and if you see the cost factor epic games (those who made unreal engine) take 5% royalty if you make over 3000$ whereas unity takes 1500$(price of unity pro) if you make 100000$ ao unity is better here, still I will look which engine ia better to use, btw which engines are you guys using?
Sherry Saini

Flip a coin.

Seriously the only one of you points that sticks out is "more learning resources", as in my own experience I see a lot more Unity tutorials of saying quality floating around the web. These may get dated of people start switching over to Unreal (but this is just speculation).

Both engines are free so download them and experiment then decide which suits your style better. We can't make this choice for you.

I am a noob, so my opinion might not matter much. I have only spent a week on trying out UE4 / Unity.

I have been wondering the same question the past week since both became more accessible and both free versions offer so much. I am making mobile game, so I spent some time getting something simplistic working, like custom camera that I would need. My basis of choosing unity was because it seemed to be more mobile friendly, and worked faster on my mobile phone. Until yesterday when I decided to let my friend test out something simple I made, the speed the game ran on my friends phone was quite unexpected compared to my nexus 5. The performance was just terribad, and I have been trying to revalue of things.

I personally have liked more Unreal Engines "openness". The debugging tools just feel phenomenal, not saying that unitys profiler is bad either, it is really good, but I like the fact that i can run console commands on mobile phone. Out of a box I feel like unreal offers a bit more than unity does, and the fact that you can actually export your assets out of unreal makes me feel more safe about it. Like if I made stuff with unity, there is no way to just possibly pull my project out of unity if I suddenly for example felt like source 2 would be the thing I really want to develop on. I have a strong feeling that in Source2 you can use C++. The truth is though, that I know that both of the engines are massive over kill for my small 3d game.

I like watching youtube videos for learning things, and unity has so much material in the internet. The bad thing about it is though, that most of it is out dated, although a lot of stuff has remained over the time, but a lot has changed as well.

Where I feel that unity works like charm is for importing stuff from blender to unity. With UE4 it seems bit more complicated to get working armatures from blender, but I am quite confident it will improve over time.

In my personal opinion somehow I feel to be more in control on UE4 than Unity. Also my gut feeling is that team collaboration works better in UE4 than Unity, but that probably doesn't matter to solo developers like us.

In the end it comes down to personal liking, for me my liking has started to lean more towards UE4 for some unexplained reason, although they both seem very capable for pretty much everything. Maybe my reason for going UE4 road is just having weird feeling of being a bit more safe with UE4, like the whole Free vs Pro with Unity has some possibility of being problematic for in the future, if I end up having a bigger team than going solo. I cannot really describe this fully with words.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement