• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Allocation of Money

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 HappyCoder   Members   -  Reputation: 3056

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

For my current game project, I am saving money so I can pay for some freelance work. This is the first time I will be putting money into one of my projects and was wondering if anybody had advice on where to allocate funds.

What percentage was spent on art, animation, music, sounds and other assets?

What is a ballpark estimate for the cost of a single playable character animated in something like spriter?

I realize the numbers will vary greatly from game to game as well as how much polish I want to put on it but if somebody would be willing to share their experience with getting good freelance work, what pitfall to lookout for, and how to best spend my money it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by HappyCoder, 20 May 2015 - 09:26 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28679

1Likes

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:02 PM

Who is doing it? Where do they live on the globe? What is their experience?  Is this for exclusive rights?

Think about your project. Being realistic (read: probably higher numbers than you want) how many hours are they going to be spending on the project?

Multiply how much they cost (which varies by location and experience and exclusivity) by how much time it takes.

Is it a fast job of 60 hours, and they're a student so you're paying $10/hr? That's $600.

Is it a job requiring a few iterations taking around 300 hours (about 2 months) and they are experienced professional contract artists so you're paying around $40/hr? That's $12,000.

Are they working in a third world country, working fast, and the art will be reused non-exclusively? Maybe 90 x $3 = $270.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#3 Gian-Reto   Members   -  Reputation: 3577

0Likes

Posted Yesterday, 03:06 AM

If you think about allocating money to ALL different parts of your projects, and not just the areas where you lack skills, don't forget marketing. Of course, if you are proficient in that yourself, or have a great strategy for it already that doesn't need a budget, forget about my advice, but else:

Most money seems to be spent on marketing for the big releases, so if you have a budget for your game, maybe look into how money might improve your marketing strategy. No point in pumping money into creating the best game ever, if you cannot promote it properly later.

#4 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 38428

0Likes

Posted Yesterday, 05:34 AM

What percentage was spent on art, animation, music, sounds and other assets?
What is a ballpark estimate for the cost of a single playable character animated in something like spriter?

mu. That's not an answerable question.
Somewhere between $20 and $20000...
Decent staff living in expensive cities will charge between $20/hr to $120/hr. Tasks might take between an hour to several months...
Staff living in cheaper regions may charge ad little as $5/hr, but as a general rule of thumb in all of life, you get what you pay for.

You need to be extremely specific in creating your work briefs. Describe exactly what you want created. You may even have to create some exploratory work briefs - e.g. drawing a series of concepts/variations of an idea, so you can figure out what you want and be more specific in another brief.

Once you've got these detailed briefs, artists can actually give you estimates of time, which you can multiply by their hourly rates.

This is known as the pre-production phase, and it costs money too. Once you've done some of this ground work, you can start building up a budget for how much money and time the actual production phase will cost.

PARTNERS