Do Game Developers Dream of Playing Games ?

Started by
6 comments, last by walsh06 8 years, 10 months ago

Humor me here, please. I've asked and been asked this question a million times. Do game designers/programmers/artists actually dedicate time to play (research ??) video games, or would you rather spend time honing your skills in the latest programming language/modeling software/yougetthepoint ???

Personally, I like to stay in touch with the latest news and trailers, but I haven't committed to a video game in a while (When did Mass Effect 3 come out ??). I just find it easier to read a novel, play chess, or watch a movie. Is it natural to stay away from your work/study field in your free time?? (If that is the case, then thank God I am not a gynecologist !!!).

What do you guys think ??

Advertisement

yes

yes

Please try to actually respond rather than just cluttering up the topic with a non-answer... I count at least three questions in the post you're responding to, and it isn't even clear which of those you think you're answering.

This is a discussion forum -- don't just post a one word response -- actually discuss the topic!

- Jason Astle-Adams

To answer the question myself (as a hobbyist game developer), I do still love to play games as well, although due to limited free time (I have two young children keeping me busy!) it's very rare for me to play any AAA titles.

Being a developer can change the experience a bit -- you'll automatically be analysing games and breaking down how they might work in your mind -- and I don't think it's unnatural for some people to enjoy playing less.

- Jason Astle-Adams

To answer the question myself (as a hobbyist game developer), I do still love to play games as well, although due to limited free time (I have two young children keeping me busy!) it's very rare for me to play any AAA titles.

Being a developer can change the experience a bit -- you'll automatically be analysing games and breaking down how they might work in your mind -- and I don't think it's unnatural for some people to enjoy playing less.

I think its the natural move. I used to spend countless hours trying to explore every inch of the game world. Its only fair to experience the same effect we'd like to give our audience, or at least try to analyze it.

I find myself only playing games that I think may be ground-breaking or contain something new. I spend all day in front of the computer, so when I relax I need to get away and read, draw, or listen to music.

I do tend to analyze whatever I'm playing, and there hasn't been a AAA game to catch my eye in a long time. So when I do sit down to play something, I don't care to spend 20 - 40 hours doing the same stuff over and over again.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Depends on the size of your team and your ambitions. Ideally your would have a game guru on your team that could recite every kind of game ever made kind of thing. His sole job would be to update the team on the latest ongoings in the industry, he would know every genre, every trend, every device. These things take time, there a job in themselves, there are only so many hours in the day for example, you can't sit down and write code for 10 hours a day then play games for 5 hours a day, it just wouldn't be practical.

I dedicate time to play because I enjoy playing games. Sure I may do it less now as I had college work and real work to take care of. If I learn from these games great but at the end of the day its about enjoying my free time and that's one day I like to do it. And I am up to date on most gaming news because I like to be updated on my hobby. Similarly I want to know the scores in the rugby/basketball/ice hockey each day because I care about it. It's not about work, its about taking enjoyment from something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement