• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Using Celebrities In My Game

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Damirol   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted Today, 01:03 AM

Let's say I want to develop a small filmmaking game, which include real celebs names and photos. Would it be illegal to do without actually permission of this celebrities? And how properly ask them for permission and don't get in law issues, when game actually come out? 

Sponsor:

#2 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 11042

1Likes

Posted Today, 01:15 AM

I think, that there's a large grey area involved, so don't ask the internet, ask a lawyer smile.png

Ashaman

Gnoblins: Website - Facebook - Twitter - Youtube - Steam Greenlit - IndieDB - Gamedev Log

#3 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 2346

0Likes

Posted Today, 01:17 AM

It depends on the country.  In the UK usually yes.   In the US most likely no.  But like Ashaman says consult a lawyer.

#4 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5709

0Likes

Posted Today, 01:35 AM

I wouldn't want to risk such a thing, even if my lawyer told me "sure, no problem" (though most likely, he will only say "it depends" anyway, lawyers don't like giving clear answers or committing to something).

Using a dead person's name or image might work in some countries (but, with different waiting periods), but as far as living people are concerned, this is outright asking for trouble.

Also, not few celebs have a mark on their name, which doesn't automatically expire if they die (but passes onto heirs).

#5 Gian-Reto   Members   -  Reputation: 3582

0Likes

Posted Today, 01:46 AM

AFAIK, If you create a parody, you might get away with it (google "fair use")....

Else you will most probably need the celebs approval. Which might not only mean getting in touch with them or their managers, but also paying something for the privilege of using their "brand".

But as others said, it depends on the country (of the celeb, where you do business, where you live... if its illegal in one of them, you should avoid it anyway), and get a lawyer involved, as the internet is a bad advisor when lawsuits are a potential fallout of a wrong decision.

PARTNERS