Prima Series Damnit! (Please Read Staff)

Started by
12 comments, last by Drizzt DoUrden 22 years, 3 months ago
First of all... I want to check out www.PrimaGameDev.net, the site thats on the back of my OpenGL Game Programming book by Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle, but the server has been down for 2 ******* months. It is really annoying me. I am looking for books on programming hand held games, etc. I was alos wondering if anyone could post the names of a few books that will teach me the following: How to Create the Console ( like one of those small hand held things ) for my games. The hardware part. How to Program and port the game to the hand held device I make. Also, what operating system would I develop on? I assume I could use C++ or a programming language like it, and OpenGL? I know I can''t make intense 3D graphics for a hand held device but I can''t make intense 3D graphics anyway so it works out well. Thank you in advance. -Kaiel Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Advertisement
Drizzt, calm down and think about what you are doing.

I have a few comments about your post.

Firstly the Prima Game Dev site listed on the back of the OpenGL Game Programming Book, is claimed to be at www.PrimaGameDev.com not .net. But I will give you there is nothing there.

Secondly the other address on the book:

www.prima-tech.com

does work, and as far as I know hasn''t been down recently. If you go there, there is a direct link to the Game Development books section, which can be found at:

http://www.premierpressbooks.com/gamedevseries.asp

which does contain a book which I think you will be intrested in called:

Pocket PC Game Programming

And finally the page for the OpenGL Game Programming Book is at:

http://glbook.gamedev.net/

And again, as far as I know it hasnt been down recently.

Anyway I hope that helps you,
Crash,

We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success
"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
Well, thank you.

I knew the OpenGL book website. I really didn''t need I link, I am sorry if I said something that sounded like I did.

Last time I went to www.prima-tech.com it was down. Its up now but its completely different, its not even Prima it is Premier. To program for a Pocket PC, I need to have a Palm computer right? Well, thats really not what I am trying to do. I am making my own console - like those Digi Mon and Tamagatchi things - and putting a game onto it. I don''t know how to put the game on it, make a game for that console, or how to make a console. I also am clueless when it comes to figuring out the answers to those questions ( I have been searching since I last posted in this forum.. it was another topic. I dont remember the name. )

I was hoping there were a few books some people knew.

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Sounds like you need any old book on machine organization or electrical engineering. That oughta learn ya how to make a game console.
Eh, eh! Looks like a hard job. That''s why consoles take genius engineers teaming up years. Of course, try getting some REALLY OLD electronics books (ie One I pulled out of Grandma''s house: _Build Your own 16-bit Microcomputer_ Should get you a good idea of the prefabricated chips available once upon a time.) Get everything you can about electronics and premade chips (now hard to get, cuz no one appreciates simple technology any more.)
Best: Get a college course (Heh, so obvious I''m using anonymousness)
To get back on track-

Prima has changed their name to Premier Press, so their new web site is:

www.premierpressbooks.com

Jim Adams
quote:
How to Create the Console ( like one of those small hand held things ) for my games. The hardware part.

Honestly, you''ve asked this here before, I don''t think such a book exists. I don''t think it would be easy either.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
To program for a Pocket PC, I need to have a Palm computer right?
No, Palm uses the PalmOS. PocketPC handhelds include the HP Journada, Compaq''s iPAQ and Handspring''s Visor.

Besides, you can program for Windows CE and the PocketPC on desktop Windows using an emulator (it''s included in the PocketPC devkit).

Also take a look at the GAPI, commonly referred to as the PocketPC equivalent of DirectX.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
quote:Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
How to Create the Console ( like one of those small hand held things ) for my games. The hardware part.

A bunch of textbooks on physical electronics, circuitry, electrical technology, logic implementation, operating system design...

Stuff still waaaay over your head.

quote:How to Program and port the game to the hand held device I make.

This part is up to you. If you design the hardware, you''ll need to also implement the software - operating system, etc. It''s then up to you or anyone who adopts your device and OS to implement general-purpose and gaming APIs.

As you can see, this takes a lot more than you (or most of us) have right now, so give it a rest.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I don''t think your console idea is going to fly, but here is some info if you really want to try this.

Basically, I''d try to dig up technical info on a GameBoy, since you seem to want something similiar. You need some kind of CPU, and since you can''t simply stick an Intel or AMD in there (size being one of the issues) you''ll have to either learn assembly for that CPU or hope that whoever makes it has also made a compiler for it. As for OpenGL? I kinda doubt it. It would most likely (assuming there IS a compiler) have a custom API.

Also, since you''re talking handhelds, your memory is going to be measured in Kb, not MB. Whereas on the PC, you tend to go for speed or ease-of-creation vs. memory/storage space, it would be the opposite on a handheld.

One more thing: a custom handheld is going to need a custom OS.

Now are you SURE you want to try this? : )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement