Working with multiple platforms

Started by
1 comment, last by Valoon 8 years, 10 months ago

Hi

I have recently begun working with Wwise, and wondered what are the things to consider when working with a game that will be released on multiple platforms.
This is not a issue for me in a current project, I just thought it would be a good idea to 'jump the gun', as it were.

For instance If I had a game that was both being released as a next-gen console game and a iOS port, would there be a way around making the audio work for both? Or would I have to make two seperate audio sessions for each platform?

Also, any thoughts/ideas/pointers on the methods, practices and things to consider when working with multiple platforms would be much appreciated. Or indeed any articles or resources that tackle thissubject head on.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Dear - Sound Design | Music | Dialog | Audio Implementation

www.mattdear.com

Advertisement

2 mixes would be ideal but that's a lot of work. I would do a near-field mix and that will cut the difference between home theater and iPhone speakers/earbuds. I think the biggest tip I can give about mobile devices is to remember they don't really produce lower end frequencies, the same goes for the ear buds. Make anything too big in the low and and it will just sound like distortion, it's almost like mastering for vinyl.

You would have to make banks for each plateform anyways because there is no way that a sound fitting for a next-gen could fit on a mobile even if it's a very small next-gen project.

So you could have both on the same project for sure but you can't use the same thing for both. What I would do is probably separate the sounds in multple work units and have one for mobile and then this work unit would have her own bank(s).

Reasons for that are mostly:

- System space. (so you would require different optimisations, probably play a lot less sound on mobile and maybe decrease their quality).

- The port will most likely be very different than the actual game so the audio will just not work.

Maybe even just the loops that last 10-15 sec or more for console would have to be reduced to 5 sec, don't use many Wwise real time effects like reverbs because it is killing the CPU for mobile. And many more stuff to change.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement