• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Is Google Play Game Services or Apple Game Center worth it?

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Njguy   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:55 PM

Does anyone know if these game services actually get your app more downloads? They seem to be useful for leaderboard hosting, but nobody even uses Google Plus. I don't know much about Apple Game Center other than it is similar to Google's. Do most users even bother to sign in to these things when the game is in play? Games such as crossy road, cut the rope, etc. use them for leaderboards, but I can't figure otu if it's worth the trouble. Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 2644

1Likes

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:41 AM

Not sure about Google but on iOS yes it defiantly improves your apps discoverability as your game is visible in Game Centre recommended games(if it is recommended), friends games and challenges.

A lot of iOS users tend to sign up to Game Centre so if you are going to have a leaderboard, high score table, achievements, challenges or a turn based game then you may as well use apples free service and API rather than role your own.  Of course if you are writing a cross platform game then you probably need to write your own solution anyway.

#3 Strategy   Members   -  Reputation: 213

2Likes

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

Does anyone know if these game services actually get your app more downloads? They seem to be useful for leaderboard hosting, but nobody even uses Google Plus. 

I'm not sure where you get this from, but you couldn't be more wrong. Everyone on native Android uses G+. Having a Google-ID to use for your phone basically makes you an automatic citizen of G+, because elements of G+ drive so much of the backend. Hangouts? Is a part of G+. Do you backup your photos via Google's automatic services? You're using G+ (now split out to Photos). In a sense, G+ is the glue which ties together all of Google's services.

In another sense, G+ doesn't really exist any more. Hangouts for business no longer requires a G+ id. Photos has just been split out into a stand-alone App. Streams (the feeds aspect), is in the process of being split out. I suspect that in future, using Google services probably won't require a G+ Id (following the lead of Hangouts for business). But you'll still have an ID with Google which is really all that they need - and which will tie together all of your Google services.

Google Play games is just one of those services, and it has little to nothing to do with G+, other than using your G+/Google ID.

I don't know much about Apple Game Center other than it is similar to Google's. Do most users even bother to sign in to these things when the game is in play? Games such as crossy road, cut the rope, etc. use them for leaderboards, but I can't figure otu if it's worth the trouble. Thanks.

The question is rather, why would you waste time implementing this for yourself, when you can get the entire thing - including backend services - essentially for free?

Edited by Strategy, 03 July 2015 - 11:52 AM.

Michael A.Designer/Developer
A Brief History of Rome
Pirates and traders

#4 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3079

0Likes

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

It's a very opaque process, but I'd imagine that failing to support Game Center on iOS or Google Play Game Services on Android might be a small black mark against your title when its being assessed for possible featuring in the store.

#5 EagleGamer   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:53 AM

Google Play game services are definitely worth it! It adds more life to your game especially if its competitive. Why would I go back to your game if I can't compare my scores with my friends/family/peers? And by the way, you're absolutely wrong about people not logging in G+, in games like flappy bird people kept coming back because they wanted to get to the top of the leaderboards. On the other hand why wouldn't you add a leaderboard? It's way easier than making your own, it's free and way more responsive than anything you might create!   

#6 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1992

6Likes

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

get your app more downloads?

Indie developers keep making this mistake. The job of marketing your game is YOUR job. Supporting platform niceties are rarely additive, but failing to support them is almost certainly subtractive. What I mean is that not supporting Game Center when you make an iOS game will earn you some 1-star reviews, bring down your rating and make someone who is hesitant choose to skip your game (assuming they even find it in the mess that is App Store search), while supporting Game Center will only avoid the 1-star for this reason. A motivated griper will find something else to complain about.

Hey, what can I say? The App Store is full of entitled assholes. Welcome to capitalism!

You know how Apple now allows anyone to download beta versions of iOS and install on their phones? You may not believe it, but people have given us 1-star reviews for not working as expected on a beta version that was released just that afternoon!

But even when you do everything right, that won't get you more downloads. It'll just let you "keep" the ones you earned through your own marketing efforts. Good luck!

#7 Strategy   Members   -  Reputation: 213

0Likes

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

Take everything Oluseyi just wrote, and frame it on a wall. So much truth that it hurts.

Michael A.Designer/Developer
A Brief History of Rome
Pirates and traders

#8 Wyrframe   Members   -  Reputation: 1341

1Likes

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

On the flip side, I'd like to voice the directly conflicting opinion. If your game requires Google Play Games integration (i.e. at the "Sign In to Google Play" popup, the Cancel button returns me to the launcher or re-shows the popup, instead of letting me through to the game's main menu), I'm uninstalling it immediately and leaving a zero-star review. A developer of a game I haven't even gotten to try playing yet does not have the right to datamine my account, log my access, and make cutesy Facebook-style bullshit show up in my G+ feed before I have even evaluated whether I will continue playing the game.

On a related note, if your game requires any permission stronger than mere "Internet Access", you're never even getting installed. You don't need full access to my SD card storage, you don't need location services, you don't need phone state and caller ID, you don't need Manage Accounts. The crap people want to get away with for even the simplest software these days is ridiculous.

(( This email has been quad-ROT13 encrypted. Reading it violates the DMCA. ))
(( 我说很少的汉语,还我的语法平庸, but at least I'm UNICODE-compliant. ))

#9 stupid_programmer   Members   -  Reputation: 1673

1Likes

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:18 AM

On a related note, if your game requires any permission stronger than mere "Internet Access", you're never even getting installed. You don't need full access to my SD card storage, you don't need location services, you don't need phone state and caller ID, you don't need Manage Accounts. The crap people want to get away with for even the simplest software these days is ridiculous.

Granted some apps do ask for more permissions then they really need.  But unfortunately, unless you are making My First Android Game you will need quite a few of those for any kind of meaningful and engaging game.

Google Play is one of those things that can help you and hurt you at the same time.  People will complain if you don't have something but they will complain even more if your implementation is broken or is heavy handed.

#10 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 14453

1Likes

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:08 PM

I think you'll find that those are minority opinions held only by developers/techies, and not by general consumers.

It turns out that the average smartphone user has no idea what most of the permissions do, and click "OK" whenever the system presents a permissions dialogue.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#11 Felix Ungman   Members   -  Reputation: 1257

0Likes

Posted Yesterday, 01:05 AM

@Oluseyi Good pst! If this was Stack Overflow it had to be marked as the officially *accepted* answer.

You know how Apple now allows anyone to download beta versions of iOS and install on their phones? You may not believe it, but people have given us 1-star reviews for not working as expected on a beta version that was released just that afternoon!

A minor clarification/update: iOS testflight betas are invitation only, and I also believe Apple recently removed the ability to rate/review beta versions.

openwar  - the real-time tactical war-game platform

#12 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 14453

0Likes

Posted Yesterday, 08:42 AM

A minor clarification/update: iOS testflight betas are invitation only, and I also believe Apple recently removed the ability to rate/review beta versions.

He's talking about beta versions of iOS, not beta versions of apps via testflight.

And yes, they did remove the ability to rate any apps while running a beta version of iOS, but they only did so about a week back, in response to the wave of one star app reviews Oluseyi mentions.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

PARTNERS