• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Which registrar should I use?

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Onigiri Flash   Members   -  Reputation: 587

0Likes

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Hello. I'm currently shopping for a domain name for my website (likely Tumblr...smile.png ). My budget for 1 year is < $30. After searching online for a good 2.5 hours and comparing various sites, I thought I would ask for your advice. Which registrar should I use?

Many people from various sites have advised against using Godaddy.com. I tried to enter a test domain to see how the checkout process worked on their site anyway; however, I was quite confused by the interface (I couldn't uncheck the webhosting box?). So, I went to Gandi.net from another site's recommendation. It appears to be user-friendly. I have also visited Name.com and Dreamhost.com.

I think Gandi.net may be the best option for me. Is there anything that I should know about registering a domain name before I make a purchase?

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30511

2Likes

Posted Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Depends on your needs.

If you don't know what you are doing, it can be easiest if you have a hosting provider that also handles your DNS services. They know what records need to be created and where to point them.

If you know what you're doing, if you know how to point your records to various places that handle your actual services, you can shop around to an enormous number of providers. I like Google Domains, they're relatively inexpensive and offer a long list of services.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

PARTNERS