"So... What do you do?"

Started by
57 comments, last by Bregma 8 years, 7 months ago

I hate this question.

How do you explain to people what you do as a game developer?

conversations usally go like this:

What do you do?

-Im a game developer

Oh, right, what do you specifically do? / how do you make games

-uh, I just tell the game to do stuff, and stuff happens. I make content and put it in the game.

I feel like there is no good way to answer the second question, its nice people are interested, but trying to explain game development or any specifics of what I do in laymen's terms, I find, is nigh impossible. It gets worse when they keep pushing for specifics, then you start using jargon like "game engine" or "C++" it flies over peoples heads and they rapidly lose interest.

How do you guys answer this question?

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

Advertisement

I'd guess they never were interested, so they can not lose interest. They tried to do smalltalk, realized they don't know anything about what you do and switch to talking about something else to hide this.rolleyes.gif

Maybe just talk about how awesome the game you made is?

I start with "write software" and move onto gamedev if they're interested.
Focus on the core benefit and not the skills. 'I'm a game developer and I create fun and interactive entertainment for all kinds of people' , then as wintertime said, tell em' about ya awesome games if they're interested! :)

hmm, this thread isn't suppose to be about my convocational skills :( . This happens a lot (ild say 95% of the time) . We were discussing/joking in work about this hence this thread.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

Sorry, it sounded as if you were after advice! Although, I'm sure the respondents so far have indirectly told you how they respond to the question through the advice they were offering you, ha ha.

Sorry, it sounded as if you were after advice! Although, I'm sure the respondents so far have indirectly told you how they respond to the question through the advice they were offering you, ha ha.

The main problem with engaging in small talk is trying to say what I (we) do in laymans terms sad.png so often if they don't do it, I shrug the question off and move onto a different topic. <-- this seems to be my colleagues response too

I say that I sit in front of a computer, and spend most of my time swearing at it in a low mumble. Once in a while I do some typing and clicking.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

What do you do?

- I work with computers.

Oh.

- Please be my friend.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

There are so many ways to answer the second question. Depending on whom you're talking to and whether or not they're actually interested plays a big role in what I'd say and how I'd build a segway to the next topic of discussion.

Usually I try to engage them into the discussion. The way you answered deflects them entirely and you'll be sitting there in awkward silence when you finish.

What do you do?

-Im a game developer

Oh, right, what do you specifically do? / how do you make games

Making a game requires the cooperation of hundreds of different skill sets. Have you ever played <insert some popular game>? No? Do you play games in your free time? <Answers something about mobile games> Oh, well my job is to study how light reflects off of objects in the real world and I try to apply that to objects in games (e.g.) to make them look as realistic as possible.

Depending on whether I'm flirting or not, I might hint that we could study some real world objects at home in my bed. Maybe perform some physical simulations together.

If not flirting, I'd continue with an analogy about how programming is much like poetry, or art. Ask if they read/draw?

Stuff like that.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement