• Create Account

Calling all IT Pros from Canada and Australia.. we need your help! Support our site by taking a quick sponsored surveyand win a chance at a $50 Amazon gift card. Click here to get started!

Need resources about movement, velocity, vectors...

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 SiriusFx   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted Yesterday, 02:12 PM

Hello, I just started programming a pong game (SFML), but I have trouble with understanding movement of the ball and paddle. I just wanted some good resources about those things that I could adapt in other games in the future too(basically about velocity and how to use it) or maybe i should just google it and read everything i can find, or maybe pick up a math book? Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 26859

1Likes

Posted Yesterday, 03:31 PM

I found this article series helpful.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal | [Fly with me on Twitter

#3 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2560

1Likes

Posted Yesterday, 05:52 PM

The Unity manual has some basic teaching on vectors here, most of which could probably be applied to SFML as well.

#4 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 3431

1Likes

Posted Today, 01:29 AM

There's also a nice youtube channel with these (and more) topics, google for "youtube math for game developers" (or programming)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

#5 SiriusFx   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted Today, 01:35 AM

Thank you all for answers you helped me more than you imagine!

#6 Infinisearch   Members   -  Reputation: 616

1Likes

Posted Today, 06:32 PM

I don't have a resource off-hand but the one piece of advice given to me that I found invaluable is "to always remember units".  If you have a distance divided by time its velocity and so on and so forth.  It made physics and engineering classes in college much easier, so it should help you out to.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

PARTNERS