Mars 1 Year Isolation Experiment Has Begun

Started by
26 comments, last by d000hg 8 years, 7 months ago

http://news.yahoo.com/long-mars-isolation-experiment-starting-hawaii-212900729.html#

But why isn't L.Spiro in this picture? Didn't he sign up for this? I wonder if those 6 are going to get a free viewing of the 'The Martian' (upcoming movie).

So anyone excited about a soon-to-be-future trip to Mars? Or at least interested in how the experiment goes? Or even curious as to why L. Spiro is not with that group?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

I hope they brought TONS of movies and other forms of entertainment with them... by the time they go out of this, they'll know everyone's kindergarden teacher's names!

http://news.yahoo.com/long-mars-isolation-experiment-starting-hawaii-212900729.html#

But why isn't L.Spiro in this picture? Didn't he sign up for this? I wonder if those 6 are going to get a free viewing of the 'The Martian' (upcoming movie).

So anyone excited about a soon-to-be-future trip to Mars? Or at least interested in how the experiment goes? Or even curious as to why L. Spiro is not with that group?

Didn't L.Spiro speak about critical health issues a while back? Sounds very unlikely to get selected for this in those conditions.

This is NASA's experiment, and has nothing to do with actually going to Mars, they're just seeing how people will react by being isolated a year. The article/video specifically talks about this and compares it to another experiment already carried out, did anyone even click the link? :)

Also, these isolation/dome experiments are nothing new.

Hmm? Where's Pauly Shore?

I dropped out of Mars One when I joined Square Enix.
The chances of making it to the end at Mars One are extremely low (you can get kicked off the TV show at any time).

I had just rejected Valve Software and Gameloft Games (after 6 long interviews), and then would have ended up quickly leaving Square Enix too if I had stayed with Mars One.

It was too much to ask of me to damage my relations with all 3 companies just for a chance at being in the finals at Mars One.

To be clearer, Gameloft Games had fully decided to hire me and even sent the contract, only for me to e-mail them 1.5 months later saying I had decided to cancel and go with Square Enix. That may have been a burnt bridge right there, so I felt compelled not to burn another bridge by leaving Square Enix after just a few months.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

It's a shame that you dropped out of the mars mission L Spiro, but in many ways i feel that perhaps your new job at square enix, is a "fantastic voyage" itself, and perhaps what you were looking for in space... has been here on earth all along.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this sentiment mellow.png

Shame to drop out when the next phase of M1 is only a few weeks in duration and would either leave you free to return to work, or full-time employed by the project, but there's no reason to be part of the program if you've doubts I guess.

It keeps being pushed further and further back but seems serious - the next phase anyway, I'm pretty cynical it will end up sending anything into orbit.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this sentiment

It is a different journey, in no way a replacement for Mars.
Nothing is.

I need radical change in my life every 5 years or so (moving to Thailand, moving to Japan 5 years later, etc.) or I get extremely restless. I’m not the settle-down type.
After 7 years in Tokyo, a change in jobs isn’t enough. I have more extreme changes coming soon about which I can’t talk, but in any case no set of changes could ever add up to that of the whole Mars One and Mars process.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I need radical change in my life every 5 years or so (moving to Thailand, moving to Japan 5 years later, etc.) or I get extremely restless. I’m not the settle-down type.

And yet you stayed with us (Gamedev) for this long!

*feels special*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement