taking a job in AI and coming back to gaming?

Started by
6 comments, last by Ashkan Mohseni 8 years, 7 months ago

hello lovely guys and gals,

so i have just finished uni with a bachelor degree in computer science and intelligent systems. but i want to get into gaming. i have already made a game using unity (its called tune escapist and you can play it in kongregate) and i have made a cv. but of course since i have little experience in game development and software development in general, the offers are not pouring in. i have had only two interviews for paid game dev positions in a span of 2 weeks (one of them i screwed up and the other one is tomorrow) i have also got an interview for a job in R&D for computer vision and machine learning today. yes R&D!!! but of course game dev interests me more. so i was wondering would it be wise to take this job (if the interview goes well of course) or is it better for me to wait until i become employable for a game dev job? after all my skills (however limited) are in computer vision and machine learning and things like that. the language they use is C++ which, as far as i know, is the language used in all big game studios to write their engines. i would imagine that the skills learned would be directly transferable to game dev.

Advertisement

actually i just realised it's a recruitment agency, but still the question stands

I would take the R&D job. Then take whatever skills learned at that job and apply them to hobbyist game dev endeavors. Plus, and I'm just guessing, it would be easier to get a game dev job (especially in AI or VR) with that actual job experience and some finished hobby games under your belt.

And I'm sure Tom Sloper is going to move this thread ;)

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

is it better for me to wait until i become employable for a game dev job

It's always easier to find work while you're employed than when you're out of work.

Every postgraduate role has several hundred applicants here in the UK of which only one may be accepted. Take the R&D post and keep searching and keep your options open.

Also be very aware there is NO job security in game development and if this is important to you (as it probably should be in the currently financial climate) you should consider this carefully. Nothing stops you doing indie development in your free time with much more freedom and less stress as you have a 9-5 job to cover your living costs.

Whatever your choice, choose what feels right to you!

Good luck in your career! :)

And I'm sure Tom Sloper is going to move this thread ;)

You know me too well!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

after all my skills (however limited) are in computer vision and machine learning and things like that. the language they use is C++ which, as far as i know, is the language used in all big game studios to write their engines. i would imagine that the skills learned would be directly transferable to game dev.

c++ yes, computer vision (pattern recognition) and machine learning - less so, perhaps much less so - IE probably not at all. computer visualization - as in 3D medical imaging - definitely. but you said vision, not visualization.

but these days, c++ is mostly for engine work, with higher level languages often used for implementing game specific details. so even the applicability of c++ depends on what you want to do in game development.

the traditional software development disciplines that transfer most directly to game development are:

1. real time systems.

2. simulation and modeling

3. 3D visualization

4. relational databases (for large, in-depth, complex titles).

5. networked multi-user systems (for multiplayer games).

6. parallel processing (for multi-core apps).

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

thank you all. I turned the offer down and told the recruiter to let me know if he has any game programming jobs available :) I would rather get paid less and work in a gaming company.

well i just got an internship from a company in this small island nation called malta. I am super stoked and kind nervous at the same time since I dont know what to expect. after all it is 2000 miles away from where I currently live! (i live in london).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement