Is there a language like Python but without the tab requirement?

Started by
31 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 8 years, 7 months ago
I was just wondering. I would like to learn a language like Python but I don't need the tab/whitespace "restriction".

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Lua?

Potentially many, or potentially very few. When you say "a language like Python," what do you mean? What qualities does Python have that you want in another language? The interpreted nature? The dynamic type system? The existence of list comprehensions?

What would you prefer instead of tab indentation, to determine scopes? C-style curly brackets?

JavaScript?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I get that significant white-space is weird for those used to curly-braces langauges, but why the resistance to such cosmetic differences when clearly you see the value in Python for its other merits? Isn't that a bit like refusing to learn to drive in a foreign country where they happen to install their steering wheels on the side opposite of what you're used to?

Sure if feels non-ergonomic for awhile, but it starts to feel natural before you know it.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

from __future__ import braces

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Potentially many, or potentially very few. When you say "a language like Python," what do you mean? What qualities does Python have that you want in another language? The interpreted nature? The dynamic type system? The existence of list comprehensions?

Interpreted? Sure.

Dynamic types? Yes.

List comprehenisions? Yes.

Functional and Object-Oriented capabilities? Yes.

What would you prefer instead of tab indentation, to determine scopes? C-style curly brackets?

Anything but tabs.

Anything but tabs.

You are, I take it, aware that tabs are very frowned upon in the python community?

Most people use spaces instead.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Anything but tabs.

You are, I take it, aware that tabs are very frowned upon in the python community?

Most people use spaces instead.

Obviously, I have been misinformed. I thought that tabs were the way one indents in Python therefore scoping variables, methods, classes, and other constructs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement