• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

OpenGL and Linux (slackware 8.0)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 HEAD   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 November 2001 - 11:35 AM

I have been running linux for a while, but I recently became interested (or re-interested) in game programming and the like. I have been looking around and OpenGL seems to be the API I wish to use. I have but one problem: how do I set up everything. I have an nVidia card so I have got the GLX and all that installed but I dont know where to get GLU nor can I find anywhere that mentions what a basic framework for getting a window(or fullscreen) open and OpenGL initialized etc... If anyone can a) tell me where to go or b) help me please do. thanks HEAD

Sponsor:

#2 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 14 November 2001 - 11:43 AM

You should already have GLU (you may need to specify the entire path of the library as a parameter to GCC, I had to for some reason, even if I put the directory it is in as a -L argument). Look at NeHe''s site for ports of his OpenGL tutorials to GLX (or SDL, which is what I use).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#3 HEAD   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 November 2001 - 01:20 PM

i looked again and is it in /usr/include/GL/ And is it a symlink to some of the X directories.

thanks

HEAD

#4 Cyberdrek   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 November 2001 - 02:29 PM

quote:
Original post by HEAD
I have been running linux for a while, but I recently became interested (or re-interested) in game programming and the like. I have been looking around and OpenGL seems to be the API I wish to use. I have but one problem: how do I set up everything. I have an nVidia card so I have got the GLX and all that installed but I dont know where to get GLU nor can I find anywhere that mentions what a basic framework for getting a window(or fullscreen) open and OpenGL initialized etc... If anyone can a) tell me where to go or b) help me please do.

thanks

HEAD

As Null and Void already mentionned, go to nehe.gamedev.net and download one of the first three tutorials for Linux( at the end of the page, you''ll find version for most commonly used platform compilers.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer

#5 mittens   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1315

Posted 14 November 2001 - 11:16 PM

SDL is good, SDL is great, SDL is life.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games

#6 HEAD   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 November 2001 - 10:38 AM

I checked again in the usr/include/GL directory. glu.h is red(using ls in a terminal) and it is apparently a symlink to ../../X11R6/include/GL/glu.h but when I ls in the GL directory glu.h shows up red with a @ after it and shows a link to itself this makes no sense and nothing will compile. What do I do?

HEAD

#7 Xetrov   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 15 November 2001 - 02:46 PM

Fix the symlinks!!

It makes me wonder why you want to get into programming in linux if you aren't able to do something as important as fixing symlinks!

Also, SDL is a very good API, which uses openGL in the end.
And its also damn easy to use, because you dont really have to worry about creating windows and all that BS. AND you can use the same code in linux, windows, macOS, beOS and others! (maybe you have to change some small portions of code).

http://www.libsdl.org

Edited by - Xetrov on November 15, 2001 9:49:58 PM

#8 wolfman8k   Members   -  Reputation: 140

Posted 16 November 2001 - 05:29 AM

A couple people here mentioned SDL.

I'll have to recommend AllegroGL:

http://www.allegrogl.sourceforge.net

In my opinion it is much cleaner and nicer than SDL. It's also portable to a bunch of platforms.

Edited by - wolfman8k on November 16, 2001 12:30:10 PM

#9 HEAD   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 November 2001 - 07:56 AM

I have used SDL a little but I want openGL because it already has all the 3D stuff implemented (like the triangle and quad code as well as the transformations and lighting etc...) Does anyone know where I can find glu.h by itself or in a tarball. All I can do is find it in rpms and I dont want that.
thx

HEAD

#10 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 19 November 2001 - 08:19 AM

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3

download the oss-opengl-glu-20000925-1.i386.rpm, i hope you can install rpms on your distro (or at least extract files from them) cause rebuilding the oss-opengl yourself is a bit of a pain in the butt.

#11 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 19 November 2001 - 08:24 AM

Ooops, i didn''t see your new message about no rpm. Get the alien package converter and convert the rpm to a format that works with your distro (including a simple tarball):
http://kitenet.net/programs/alien/

#12 HEAD   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 November 2001 - 10:05 AM

sorry I was unclear. I can use rpms but I dont like them...I prefer to break things all by myself. Its tarballs for me(when i can get them)

Thanks

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS