How does the human brain accomplish this

Started by
45 comments, last by JohnnyCode 8 years, 7 months ago
How does the human brain - on instinct mode - accomplish this... Just out of curiosity
Everyone who does a kick-around every now and then knows and can do this. No special talent required
(image just to remove ambiguity - as football is used in few other contexts)
A left footed person.
Has a football several yards ahead of him
He has to and aims to kick the ball with his left foot. [attachment=29124:kickTheBall2.jpg]
As he runs towards the ball, his first 2(or 3) steps adjust minutely
then he runs fast (accelerating so steps are not evenly paced) and yet so sure to kick with his left foot and he confidently and ultimately does with a bang!
Getting his target foot without explicitly measuring the distance between him and the ball, and dividing by each step of his run, and the acceleration even complicates things, so that each run-step is not even the same! All this merely on instinct mode!
The taken-for-granted maths the brain does to accomplish this feat must be so extreme. And we don't feel mentally taxed! I can't think of any other thing like it (that doesn't fall within exceptional talent apart from the ability of a child to pick up a strange language almost immediately)
Don't tell me our brains evolved to doing so from... because no animals are known to kick footballs. Not a survival skill
Humans only started kicking balls in the 1800s (according to official records)
This time around Google search misunderstood me every time, whatever key words i usedwub.png , so i find myself asking programmers a question i should be asking neuroscientists sad.png !!!
Curiosity killed the catwink.png

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

Currently we are creating server farms to accurately mimic mouse brain.

It might be interesting watch for you.

I'd say the football-kicking is "just" an extension of us evolving into becoming expert tool users.

Any tool can, after a bit of practice, become an extension to our body, and be controlled with just as much precision (and lack of conscious thought) as any limb.

Brains are cool :)

Just running in extremely un-even terrain (like off-path in a forest) is enough to amaze me over how much our brains and bodies can manage.

I don't think you can point out any specific function as being responsible for it, its more a matter of the whole.

Btw, animals are pretty amazing at body control too, and if you help them practice, they can use tools too (and some do without help)

I had watched a movie (Taare zameen par) about a boy having dsylexia also struggling to catch or kick ball due to "latency" about measuring dimensions and speed.

Also this ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_skill ) may shed a bit light.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Currently we are creating server farms to accurately mimic mouse brain.
Monumental task indeed! Self decision making is the killer, evolving computers ... hmm lets wait and see.
Somewhat feasible in software AI

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

I don't think the brain does do this automatically. I think it is just because humans kick things around a lot and learn to judge the distance until it becomes second nature (muscle memory ?). For example everybody I went to high school with could do this but when it came to doing the high jump we were not allowed to do the flop and had to do the scissor jump, hardly anybody could time the run up correctly.
Nowadays I do Taekwondo and we have something called special technique where you have to run up and kick a target 2.5 meters in the air. Whenever somebody new tries it they can get the high kick but cannot time the run up so that the kick actually hits the target.

You only have to spend a while searching youtube to find videos of people failing and misjudging this run up and kicking air to see that it isn't something that just happens magically.

I have been told that it is supposedly 400 times that you need to repeat an action before it comes second nature.

Incidentally when I was at school we were taught to kick the ball with our least favourite foot and if we didn't we were made to play with no boot on our favourite foot so that if we kicked the ball we'd break our toes.

It's not only humans that are amazing like this. Watch a common house cat... it will happily jump 10 feet to land on a fence 1" wide, etc. I don't even know how you would write AI to do this...

Modern experts explain how the brain works in terms of a computer analogy. The brain works just like a big complicated computer.

Previously, before computers and when mechanical things with gears and spinning brass balls were the latest sweet tech gadgets, such behaviour as kicking a football was explain in terms of a mechanical analogy.

Before that, when things were moved by angels and spirits and the unseen world was an accepted part of every day life, it was all explained through animal magnetism or animal spirits and other such essences. People even opened heads to look for the homunculi and tales were told around the fire at the mouth of the cave about the sprit deer guiding the spear of a hunter.

Of course, the truth is that all perception is a synthetic judgment resulting from the interplay of the exchange of quantum states at the fundamental level of existence, and that there is no true transcendence to need to explain. No one really kicks a football, but many of us experience some quantum state changes in the fabric of spacetime as a football having been kicked.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Also keeping in mind that what we perceive has already happened some 150 to 200 milliseconds ago, as that's the approximate amount of time it takes for your brain to process what it sees and react to it. (http://m.jneurosci.org/content/26/15/3981.full)

I don't think the brain does do this automatically. I think it is just because humans kick things around a lot and learn to judge the distance until it becomes second nature (muscle memory ?).

It can only be attributed to muscle memory if you are performing the exact same task. If you change the distance to the ball, but can still kick it perfectly, then it isn't muscle memory. Likewise, many people can accurately throw an object at a target even if they've never attempted that throw before. Again, this isn't muscle memory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement