Vector Art

Started by
2 comments, last by Komatsu 8 years, 5 months ago
For my current project, I have been using GIMP to create sprites and scenery. Unfortunately, I can't get my pixel art to closely resemble my sketches or what I envision. I would like to try using vector art because, to me, vector art feels more natural, as though it was hand-drawn.

Given this, does anyone have recommendations for vector-art software? Is Inkscape a good one to start with or is there something more beginner friendly?

Also, if Inkscape is a good one to use, does where can I find informative tutorials to help me understand how to use the tools and animate the sprites?

If there's other helpful advice for making game art that you want to share, please do so!

Need help getting started as a game developer? Check out my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq417Slwr-Qt8hN-gemJS0w?&ab_channel=HowtoMakeGames

Advertisement

I do find Inkscape easy to use, it's what I use for my vector art. smile.png It isn't great for animation though, if you were intending to animate your sprites. As far as I've seen the main alternatives to Inkscape are Adobe Illustrator (also doesn't really do animation, it's intended to feed into afteraffects or flash or something) on the pro end of the spectrum and Pencil/Pencil2D (pencil is no longer in development, dunno about the forked Pencil2) on the opensource end of the spectrum. There's also Synfig Studio, I haven't tried that one.

I personally don't advise beginners to learn a different program from non-beginners, though. Then you just have to relearn-everything when you outgrow the first program.

As far as Gimp though, why are you doing pixel art if you want to be hand-drawing? Get a tablet and draw in a higher resolution. Pixel art isn't required for anything but phone/handheld platforms any more, thank goodness. (Sunandshadow detests pixel art.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Perhaps the problem is in the part "can't make it closely resemble my sketches or what I envision."
If it's what I'm thinking it is (lack of experience with the medium), you'll have the same difficulty with vector art.

You need to share some pictures of your work (both the concept and the pixel art) so people can help you see how to improve it.
I must be wacky I think pixel art can be quite beautiful. All kinds from the simplistic to the complex. I don't think you moving to vector art will make things any easier. You still have to be skilled at the fundamentals of drawing. Then on top of that you have to know the software. You cant just know one or the other you have to know both to get a good result. The software your using just allows you to take something you already had the skill for (drawing) and take it further.

Maybe I am totally off base and you are quite skilled at drawing. If I am i'm sorry. Maybe tutorials for the type of software your using will help. If you drawing skills are lacking I would work on that on paper. You can even scan in your drawing if you have to and go from there. Working on paper and learning the fundamentals will teach you how to translate your ideas to paper. Once you know how to do that it wont matter what tool you use.

Also when first starting use reference whenever possible. When we draw something we are re-learning how to see it. This gets tucked away in our visual library to use later. If you dont draw that much and dont use reference you will not have enough information in your visual library to draw that particular thing accurately. As a side effect the more stuff you have built up in your visual library the better you will draw from imagination.

I am not a expert..its just advice that has helped me on my art journey.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement