Where I start

Started by
7 comments, last by roblane09 8 years, 4 months ago

Hi!
I have some questions about the topic of getting started
First of all; I don't know absolutely nothing about programming, what should I do?
Where could I get the necessary programs, are they paid or freeware?
The maths are necessary for programing video games?
Also, what is the difference between C# and C++?

I hope somebody can help me whit this

Advertisement

Since no one has responded to your question and I have asked my self this same question for a long time Ill give you my two cents. I recently decided to dive into the world of programming coming from the same place you are. Absolutely zero programming knowledge what so ever. Believe me I know exactly what you are talking about. What language should I choose? Should I match an engine with the language? Is the language good or bad? Where do I learn? The list goes on. Fear not there is light at the end of the tunnel. The biggest obstacle your are going to face at first is indecision. It gets your no where. I decided to start out with C# my main reason being its a pretty beginner friendly language. You don't have to worry quite as much about the nitty gritty low level stuff like in some other languages which as a beginner can get you into some big trouble. I would advise C# I have really enjoyed my journey so far with it. And Visual Studio is a really good IDE (personal preference) So to answer your questions, 1: Pick a language and start learning. Books videos everything you can get your hands on. Get motivated to learn it and actually start doing things. 2: Most IDE's are free I believe, engines for making games usually have a free and paid version. 3: It depends on what type of games you want to make. Most of the math that I have encountered so far is at its hardest just algebra. 4: This question I don't think I am qualified to give you an answer for. I don't really know to much about c++ and don't have the experience with c# to really say what it is and it isn't.

But overall, pick a language (I highly advise C#) and just start learning. Don't worry too much if you are picking the right language for what you want to do. You can always learn another :) I would also highly advise getting some books on the language that you choose. Internet tutorials are nice but piecing together different approaches to a single language for a new person like us is really confusing at first.

From one beginner to another, its hard. Not going to lie but it is also one of the most fun experiences I have ever had. So dig in and start learning and try not to get discouraged early on. Good luck!

Well said Spool. The FAQ also has some useful information here:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

what is the difference between C# and C++?

#++

;)

That was very useful speech, m8, I really apreciate it
I don't know if a 14 years old person like me can learn algebra, but I think I can do it,
hell, Im even learning japanese as my third language and its not hard at all.
Its always wonderful to know people like you!

PD: I readed the FAQ before posting, but I was still in doubt

I don't know if a 14 years old person like me can learn algebra

I'm not sure which part of the world you are in, but in the UK algebra is part of the school maths curriculum and you're force fed it before 14. Algebra is simple, basically it's similar to: "if a has a value of 1 and b has a value of 2 what is a + b". If you can work that out, you will be able to program...

Good luck!

If you haven't learned algebra yet and you are able to learn Japanese I promise algebra will be easier. And if you don't know it, learn it. Plenty of people waiting to teach you. :D

Oh boy, is that simple? this gonna be good
All I want to do now is think about the design of my characters, I was thinking about making a 2d fighting game
And I got a program to make some music, its looking good just at the start

thank you guys for the support!!

I've really been cracking down on my math lately and I'm sure you are familiar with khan academy, but if not I highly recommend as it's helping me both review what I've forgotten and start learning pretty quickly. I'm not here promoting anything I swear, just noticed you learned Japanese and thought "if you can do that, you could probably pick up Algebra from some video instructors".

Personally I have been enjoying C# more and more lately. I've had small tastes of Java, and this seems very similar in many ways. I started with C++ because I had no idea and just picked a text book. Looking back at that I think Java would have been an easier task (C# was not a language at the time), and so C# would be my language recommendation.

Good luck!

"this feature will ship in version 1.0 for sufficiently large values of 1."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement