Which type of sounds you are looking for most ?

Started by
7 comments, last by yjbrown 8 years, 2 months ago

Some sounds are needed more, some less often.

So I decided to ask. Which sounds do you guys need the most ? Which sounds would you likely to buy in a sound bank ?

Looking forward to your feedback !

Advertisement

Some sounds are needed more, some less often.

So I decided to ask. Which sounds do you guys need the most ? Which sounds would you likely to buy in a sound bank ?

Looking forward to your feedback !

This is a pretty vague question. The sounds I need most depend greatly on what I'm doing at the moment and the range of projects I work on varies greatly.

So I don't really see the point you're going after here. Are you asking because you're interested in developing/providing those samples to composers/sound designers? Or are you asking because as a composer/sound designer, you want to learn about new products? Your post is just to vague too really generate a useful discussion, IMO.

A better question would be something like:

"Which sounds do you guys need the most when working in genre X?"

Or

"Which sounds do you guys need the most when working on only mobile/tablet designed games?"

Give us some more parameters to work with and you'll get a better discussion.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Nsmadsen thanks for asking. To be honest, I am aware that this is way too "universal" question, which of course, cannot be answered universally.
But that wasn't my point.

If I wanted to make a research, I would probably target a poll to 1000+ game developers somehow.
But this is a forum. I believe people are discussing here, because it's quick, relaxing, with no daunting questions. I sincerely doubt we could gather enough answers to make this any credible research.

Of course, I am well aware that somebody from "sci-fi space 3D game" will answer differently than someone working on "mobile RPG".

So, why I am asking ?
I am just curious about random answers that are hopefully going to pop up.

Well to answer your broad question:

I use sounds that will best help me convey the emotion I want the player/viewer/audience to feel. As to what that sound (or sounds) is depends on the situation.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I do a ton of sound design work in my every day job and I don't think there's any one universal category that gets used more than others. It's totally situation dependant and what you end up using may be a totally unrealted sound. As an example I like to use an egg cracking as a sweetener for bones breaking, moving pasta around for a gore effect, one time I even knocked a thawed turkey around for some impact sounds. That's why the big sound libraries offer their sounds in big random packs of 1,000-3,000 sounds. In the Sound Ideas collection #15 I have Footsteps, Office Sounds, Toboggans, Jet Skis, Helicopters, Slot Machines, Ice, Zippers, Swords, Packing Tape, and so many other things in so many combinations. It's also just not 1 cut, it's "packing tape up close :60" or "packing tape on drywall :30". Finally what I look for in a sound library is metadata. All those sounds may as well be useless if I can't find them. Every single sound has maybe 20 searchable descriptive words imbedded in the .wav. So to sum up, there's no category that is more important than any other because 'space sounds' might be ice on a metal plate and 'sword sheath' might by a rusty car door; bulk, variety, and embedded metadata are what I look for in a sound effects library.

For the record I own almost 175,000 effects across nearly 100 libraries that I've purchased over the years, plus all my custom foley work.

Right now I am after short atmospheric ambience. For example the hustle and bustle of a medieval market town, or the sounds of an inn, a cave, a deserted castle, or a shipwreck on a sand bank.

I'm also currently trying to find good pain sounds and weapon swinging sounds for melee combat so that I have enough that it doesn't seem to repeat so often.

Right now though, music and sound effects is a few steps down my agenda as I plan how to get some alpha testers on board and put some gameplay metrics in my game to aid in testing :)

As a sound designer I would say I only 'need' sounds I can't create myself (or at least not to a certain level of production). I suppose the answer has to be dubstep drum samples. Outside of that I'd be interested in the sound of a tokay geckos mating call because you really can't plan a studio session for a tokay gecko to do that.

EDIT: This one ain't bad actually

The sounds i've used the most are random environment sounds. It's difficult to find samples that aren't full of bad echos, static, or other unwanted periphery noise. Free Sound Project has tons of most sounds you can think of, but 95% of them are so dirty or poorly recorded that they're unuseable.

The biggest area that's hard to find clean sounds is outdoor-ish sounds. There's usually microphone-wind-static, birds, people talking, or trees in the wind messing up the sounds.

Haha.. the gekko - sounds either like a creak door, or a land dolphin..

I wonder if you slow it down it may sound like choirs singing...

Game Audio Professional
www.GroovyAudio.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement