Are you getting the oculus rift?

Started by
99 comments, last by shuma-gorath 8 years, 3 months ago
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

The consumer version of the oculus is going on preorder soon. Any of you planning on getting it?

I have the DK1 and have generally been happy with it. If I got a rift, I would need to buy a much better gaming machine than I have so I am still on the fence.
My current game project Platform RPG
Advertisement

I was definitely going to get one, but I'm torn between that and the Vive now.

I've heard reports that the Vive is just "better" (VR being inherently a subjective experience).

Will almost certainly pick up some kind of VR headset, assuming the cost is reasonable (i.e. < $1000)

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I answer "don't know".

VR is one of those ideas that I know is amazing, etc, but I don't really have a clear idea of what I would actually do with it. Sure, for more immersive gaming it's going to be such a huge leap over where we're currently at. But what else?

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I don't like your options, i'm likely going to get a CV eventually. I have the DK2 now, and playing games in VR is quite the experiance. unfortuantly finding games that use it(and use it well) is difficult. the shining game that utilizes vr for me is Elite dangerous, piloting and combat are just phenominal in the thing imo. unfortuantly ED is pretty stale otherwise(at least in my opinion.)

the occulus also suffers in resolution issues in my opinion, seeing even slightly far away at human sized targets is just tiny pixels. the close up looks great, but anything far away just looks terrible, and it's also what has made me less inclined to put on my headset.

Honestly i may wait a generation or two, i know the problems i have with it, and the 1st generation seems to be only mildly addressing them imo.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

He wad OVR with few attachments in the office, and it's a 15 mins fun. My personal prediction is that those "tools" won't be usable for gaming.

I'd preorder one if I could afford it biggrin.png maybe the company will buy one for the office...

Will be interesting to see the specs on the final version.
At the moment, the DK2 is twice as good as the DK1. The early PSVR prototype ("Morpheus") was slightly better than DK2 (but final PSVR will be better than the Morpheus prototype). Current Vive prototype is maybe 1.5x as good as DK2.

Will be interesting to see where everything lands.
Vive at the moment has the massive advantage of room-size tracking... But the downside that your Wife is going to kill you for drilling holes in the living room ceiling to run cables everywhere... HTC needs a variety of classy mounting options here.
The PSVR will certainly be the most consumer-friendly option. Performance will be the same everywhere, it's built for the living room, sony actually has experience in making HMD's and it feels/looks great, and pulls off pretty impressive room-sized tracking with the feeble equipment they're using.

My personal prediction is that those "tools" won't be usable for gaming.

One hour of Zero Latency was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. It's in my lifetime leaderboards already.

People are going to make some great VR games in the coming years.

Have the DK2, not decided yet on which to upgrade to, but will definitely get another

I predict that any "cockpit based" game will do great in VR (space fighers, racers, mech warriors, etc) but I'm very curious to see what innovations people will come up with smile.png

Maybe combined with a kinect or some hand tracking hardware.

3d tracked controllers will probably be a big thing for RPGs and FPS

The DK2 makes me fairly sick. I will probably wind up trying the consumer version anyway; there's some potential for work projects if it works well.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Hah bumhug.

I predict VR will remain a niche for a long time yet, just like "3D TV" did. Sure there's a lot of money going into it, but if pouring money into things guaranteed success, well, history would have far fewer funny stories about foolish venture capitalists.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I predict VR will remain a niche for a long time yet, just like "3D TV" did.

I doubt it will be that bad. All you need is every store that sells video games to have 2 or 3 displays up and people will be sold on it. I expect the initial sales to be low. Then gradually rise as we closer to Xmas.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement