• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

WGL's

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Drakon   Members   -  Reputation: 120

Posted 17 November 2001 - 10:20 AM

What exactly are WGL''s and what do they do?

Sponsor:

#2 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 17 November 2001 - 10:56 AM

All WGL functions are functions that exist only in Windows for use in OpenGL.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#3 Floppy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 November 2001 - 11:02 AM

There are quite a few wgl functions; you can find them all at this MSDN website.

Good luck!

#4 Drakon   Members   -  Reputation: 120

Posted 17 November 2001 - 12:12 PM

Well what are they needed for?

#5 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 17 November 2001 - 12:14 PM

All they are REQUIRED to be used for are to attach the OpenGL functions to a Window and swap the buffers. You can use them for a lot more (fonts, et cetera), but I wouldn''t suggest it.

#6 Shag   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 November 2001 - 02:47 PM

WGL is nothing more than a wrapper for the OS specific functionality for OpenGL. You can replace WGL, for example, to XGL to make the same stuff work under UNIX! WGL isn''t a bad thing - it just hides OS specific functionality from the developer.

#7 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 17 November 2001 - 02:53 PM

quote:
Original post by Shag
WGL is nothing more than a wrapper for the OS specific functionality for OpenGL. You can replace WGL, for example, to XGL to make the same stuff work under UNIX! WGL isn''t a bad thing - it just hides OS specific functionality from the developer.

1. There is no XGL. There is a GLX though.
2. Some of the functions you may be able to do that with, but not a lot. GLX has a lot that WGL doesn''t, and vice versa.

#8 Shag   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 November 2001 - 03:19 PM

OK ... my mistake! lol ... Not being a UNIX programmer I was guessing!

GLX can be used instead og WGL in many circumstances ... I agree that they''re not totally interchangable, but the general idea was right! And this brings me on to my next point - it''s about time that the ARB standardized these functions!

#9 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 17 November 2001 - 03:46 PM

quote:
Original post by Shag
And this brings me on to my next point - it''s about time that the ARB standardized these functions!

Just use SDL, it wraps them nicely (along with just about all of the other OS specific stuff).

#10 abdulla   Members   -  Reputation: 164

Posted 17 November 2001 - 04:12 PM

SDL needs better documentation

#11 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 17 November 2001 - 04:14 PM

quote:
Original post by abdulla
SDL needs better documentation

I figured it out in a day or two with less documentation than they have now (they just did a large update to the SDL Doc. project). It really is easier than you''re thinking it is.

#12 Shag   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 November 2001 - 12:45 PM

Just my opinion ...

I''d personally rather not use any 3rd party libraries. I conceed that they have a valid use, but to my mind they maybe block progress, rather than help it. In this I mean that sometimes it''s better to think for yourself and solve a problem, rather than rely on someone else doing it for you!

I''m a VB database programmer. My C/C++ isn''t that hot, but I want to learn - which is why i''d much prefer to do things my own way, i.e. learn from my own mistakes.

This is a personal opinion which probably doesn''t apply to many others in here, but it does to me!!!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS