CEGUI How to Make Custom (Schemes, LooknFeel, Layout's...)

Started by
1 comment, last by Ipenywis 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey, Iam new to Game Development (Low Level) Which means just using a Native c++ Engine Built By Me and OpenGL, SDL,

But Which really Matter is GUI Library, i'm using CEGUI Iand i think it's fine, for Now.

I'm Wondering if i can make a custom Ui CEGUI(Schemes, Imagesets, Looknfeels...) so i can my own UI and Widget then using in it with My Game CEGUI I'm working on a Simple 2D Game.

or if there is any Better Libraries i can Use.

Thanks in Advance

Advertisement

Looking at the History of CEGUI, it has been used in Torchlight 1 and 2, Open Dungeons, Blood Bowl, and many other user projects... I'd say yes. yes you can.

There are also other libraries. But the free ones aren't as feature rich, or well tested as CEGUI.

libRocket is based off of HTML, and can use Lua and Javascript (I think)

MyGui, is another one, nearly all of the same features as CEGUI with less documentation.

Awesomium is offered for sortof free. In your case, it's just free. It's HTML based, but uses javascript as it's logic. You will also need a pretty good knowledge of C++ or C# to use it.

Then there are others... which you need to pay for.

If CEGUI or any others does not fit your needs, you can try rolling your own if you have reason to.

[Spoiler]

I'm rolling my own for the following reasons. Most of the libraries availible are raster based. Which means that for anything that needs to be animated, you need to have an image for it. A diablo style resource bubble, an animated health bar, or an icon timer for status effects suddenly means that you need to have thousands of image files loaded up.

I wanted the library to use my custom renderer and well accustomed to the engine's logic structure.

I wanted the library to be easily edited by pre-existing tools (blender)

[/spoiler]

But I seriously don't recommend it if you're just starting low level programming, and you're not too good with math. If you know what you are doing, cobbling something together won't take long. But to make something that can fit all situations will take five years of sundays.

Looking at the History of CEGUI, it has been used in Torchlight 1 and 2, Open Dungeons, Blood Bowl, and many other user projects... I'd say yes. yes you can.

There are also other libraries. But the free ones aren't as feature rich, or well tested as CEGUI.

libRocket is based off of HTML, and can use Lua and Javascript (I think)

MyGui, is another one, nearly all of the same features as CEGUI with less documentation.

Awesomium is offered for sortof free. In your case, it's just free. It's HTML based, but uses javascript as it's logic. You will also need a pretty good knowledge of C++ or C# to use it.

Then there are others... which you need to pay for.

If CEGUI or any others does not fit your needs, you can try rolling your own if you have reason to.

[Spoiler]

I'm rolling my own for the following reasons. Most of the libraries availible are raster based. Which means that for anything that needs to be animated, you need to have an image for it. A diablo style resource bubble, an animated health bar, or an icon timer for status effects suddenly means that you need to have thousands of image files loaded up.

I wanted the library to use my custom renderer and well accustomed to the engine's logic structure.

I wanted the library to be easily edited by pre-existing tools (blender)

[/spoiler]

But I seriously don't recommend it if you're just starting low level programming, and you're not too good with math. If you know what you are doing, cobbling something together won't take long. But to make something that can fit all situations will take five years of sundays.

Ok Thanks for the Advise and the Info :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement