IDE autocompletition question

Started by
4 comments, last by Dospro 8 years, 1 month ago

Hi.

This may sound like a dumb question, but i have been searching for some opinions about this.

As you may know, now most IDEs have a quite advanced autocompletition feature and keyboard-centric navigation.

My doubt involves parenthesis, brackets and braces.

When i'm editing some code and open a bracket or parenthesis, in most IDEs the closing bracket/parenthesis is automatically added. After filling whatever goes inside the pair of brackets, the cursor ends up just next to the closing parenthesis.

Until now, i use the End key, which is quite far in the keyboard to get outside of the pair of symbols, and then use the arrow-keys or Return key to navigate to the next line or inside a pair of braces.

I don't know if i'm wrong, but isn't there a shortcut, or some way to do this automatically without having to use arrows, or End key? I mean, IDEs are really smart nowadays, so i feel like i'm missing a feature that perhaps has been there for a while which does excatly this..

The only editor i 've used which let me configure this was vim. But to be honest, i don't like vim :(.

Any enlightment?

Advertisement

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it reminded me of something I've seen a lot of people not know -- figured I might as well share (assuming Windows, not sure if applicable for other operating systems):

In most text editors, Ctrl will change manipulation to be word-centric instead of character-centric.

Ctrl + Left/Right Arrow will skip to the previous/next word. Can also be used in combination with Shift to quickly select/deselect whole words at a time.

Ctrl + Delete will delete from the current position until the end of the word.

Ctrl + Backspace will delete from the current position until the beginning of the word.

Hello to all my stalkers.

In many IDEs, if you simply type the closing parenthesis (which it has already inserted for you), then instead of inserting a second one, it just moves the cursor to the right of the already-magically-inserted one, and then you can press enter.

In all the IDEs I've used with auto-complete, hitting Tab will also go to the end of whatever auto-complete section you are currently in.

In NetBeans typing a closing parenthesis will just skip over the already present one of the same type. And typing a semicolon will place the semicolon at the end of the line if all between it and the end of line is the closing parentheses.

Thank you for your answers.

Im using JetBrains IDEs, which is quite mmm standar about shortcuts. At least it is compatible with Netbenas(mostly).

As i see, it seems the easiest way is to actually close the parenthesis/brackets/braces manually jajaja. Two strokes instead of one.

Anyway, it seems like a little issue not taken seriously. Jeje.

Thanks again for your answers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement