Battlefront won image of the day...

Started by
8 comments, last by cowsarenotevil 8 years ago

I don't pay attention to it much, but this is the second time I saw a AAA screen capture win image of the day. Anyway, carry on.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Advertisement

Has the image of the day been removed because of it?

There is no image of the day on the front page for me anymore :(

I know it had gone downhill since the site was rebuilt and the crappy hot or not game was introduced but removing altogether seems a bit extreme. It was one of the features that first brought me to Gamev.net (and also Flipcode) back in 1999.

Image of the day makes me sad a lot. A lot of time it's stuff like AAA games that don't feel "relevant" to the community (if only because it's not showing anything people won't get exposed to otherwise), but sometimes it's something that is either not a game, not a screenshot, or both. I like the idea of automatically collecting tagged screenshots and voting on them, but in practice it doesn't seem to yield good results.

Sometimes the winner is something people I know are working on (and at least once something I'm working on), but even that's not really satisfying when it seems to be completely arbitrary.

Has the image of the day been removed because of it?

There is no image of the day on the front page for me anymore :(

I know it had gone downhill since the site was rebuilt and the crappy hot or not game was introduced but removing altogether seems a bit extreme. It was one of the features that first brought me to Gamev.net (and also Flipcode) back in 1999.

It's still there for me, at least.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Image of the day makes me sad a lot. A lot of time it's stuff like AAA games that don't feel "relevant" to the community (if only because it's not showing anything people won't get exposed to otherwise), but sometimes it's something that is either not a game, not a screenshot, or both. I like the idea of automatically collecting tagged screenshots and voting on them, but in practice it doesn't seem to yield good results.

I preferred it when it used to be somebodies development screenshot and then a paragraph or two about the technology they used with maybe a link to their blog or game.

It's still there for me, at least.

I just have a GDNet Spotlight box which is blank with no content and then an add for Frog Games Dungeon Content Pack and then a Newsletter Signup section. The whole right side of the page is looking kind of unfinished at the moment. I can still get to the gallery from the "Community" menu at the top of the page though.

Should also mention that the tabs at the top of the page for Features, Top Posts and Articles are no longer working as tabs either. All the content is on a single page and the tabs just link to that content within the page. Not sure if this is supposed to be like (A bit of a poor design choice if it is because the tabs still look like tabs) that or the front page of Gamedev.net has just got seriously screwed up. I have tried in both Safari and Chrome.

This is not Battlefield's "fault," it's GDNet's. The feature just crawls Twitter and the like for posts with a certain hashtag. That's why it's full of images that don't fit the theme (indie developer WIP stuff) that you're probably thinking of.

It's a pretty bad implementation of the feature TBH.

One site I visit requires the developer to submit images with descriptions, web site links, etc. Except the downside is that it could take months before the admin will post it to the site.

Should also mention that the tabs at the top of the page for Features, Top Posts and Articles are no longer working as tabs either. All the content is on a single page and the tabs just link to that content within the page. Not sure if this is supposed to be like (A bit of a poor design choice if it is because the tabs still look like tabs) that or the front page of Gamedev.net has just got seriously screwed up. I have tried in both Safari and Chrome.

Works for me in Chrome on Windows 7 (Version 49.0.2623.112 m)

One site I visit requires the developer to submit images with descriptions, web site links, etc. Except the downside is that it could take months before the admin will post it to the site.

That's how it used to work here a long time ago. I think it was weekly they just bulk approved a bunch of screenshots. That was nicer because you saw all the projects upfront instead of voting A vs B. You got to see the whole gallery.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

That's how it used to work here a long time ago. I think it was weekly they just bulk approved a bunch of screenshots. That was nicer because you saw all the projects upfront instead of voting A vs B. You got to see the whole gallery.

Yeah, I much preferred that too. On one hand I understand why they wanted a system that can process more screenshots with a lower barrier to submission, but on the other hand I can't help but think there must be some way to get enough screenshots from people who have actually, you know, visited this site ever.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement