Cubette - A Wooden Cube Murdering Simulator

Started by
2 comments, last by dannymklein 7 years, 10 months ago

Hello, fellow developers and game enthusiasts,

I'm a hobbyist game developer, I've been developing little silly games for quite a while now, but I thought I'd finally give it a shot and try to build and publish an idependent game and see how it goes. So here it is, the thing I've been spending a fair chunk of my spare time the last few months.

The concept is simple, kill the red cubes by making them fall of the edge, but don't kill any green ones.

I believe this concept can make for a great game, and becuase I haven't seen any successful games that do a similar thing I decided that that's what I'll go with for my first actual game.

[media]https:

[/media]

I stitched together this crappy trailer (I'm not famous for my video editing skills) which I believe does a fair job of showing what the game is.

If you're interested of giving the game a shot and trying it out, a test build is now avaiable on Newgrounds.

Play online: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/675674

If you want to follow the development process of this game, you can follow me on Twitter, [twitter]dannymklein[/twitter]

And thoughts and suggestions are greatly appriciated and also thank you a lot for spending your time reading this post.

-Daniel

Advertisement

I would suggest to replace the cubes with some cute animals or something to make the game more original and memorable. Overall graphics update (backgrounds, various emotions from characters, visual effects, etc.) would be a good thing, too.

After success of agar.io and a few other simple concepts a lot of people lost their mind and started thinking that all it takes to make a new hit game is to draw some color geometry figures in MS Paint, add some physics, and then wait for millions to flow their way. That's why these days the whole Internet is flooded with "minimalistic" games about adventures of red squares, or green triangles, or blue circles, or whatever other colored geometry figures, with a few hundred new square/circle/triangle games being released every single day. If you throw one more minimalistc cube game into that ocean of geometry figures games, most probably it will just disappear there without anybody noticing. By having some real and original characters your chances for success would be higher, IMO.

Shoujo City - anime game for Android and iOS

I would suggest to replace the cubes with some cute animals or something to make the game more original and memorable. Overall graphics update (backgrounds, various emotions from characters, visual effects, etc.) would be a good thing, too.

After success of agar.io and a few other simple concepts a lot of people lost their mind and started thinking that all it takes to make a new hit game is to draw some color geometry figures in MS Paint, add some physics, and then wait for millions to flow their way. That's why these days the whole Internet is flooded with "minimalistic" games about adventures of red squares, or green triangles, or blue circles, or whatever other colored geometry figures, with a few hundred new square/circle/triangle games being released every single day. If you throw one more minimalistc cube game into that ocean of geometry figures games, most probably it will just disappear there without anybody noticing. By having some real and original characters your chances for success would be higher, IMO.

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion, I'll definitely be replacing a lot of the visuals before the final version, in fact so far I've been focusing mostly on the technical side of things.

When I started developing the game I was thinking a lot whether or not I should go for the minimalistic approach, but in the end I figured out that a game where you're pushing kittens and pugs off the edge of a cliff is kind of cruel and won't work out to well, and I also didn't want to go for pure geometric figures since that's boring,

so I settled with something in the middle, a best of both worlds kind of solution IMO - I went for simple geometrical figures, but I tried to give them different facial expressions end 'emotions', a character of some sort, so it feels like you're interacting with actual living things, but not to the point where they become cute animal-like entities you get attached to and feel bad for.

I'll definitely be working more on their facial expressions, make them more dynamic and life-like so it doesn't 'feel' like you're playing a puzzle with wooden cubes, but the whole minimalistic aspect is not something I'm planning to get rid of.

Huge update.
Added level editor, now you can make your own levels and have the community play them!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement