Facebook Torrent Of Links?

Started by
6 comments, last by khawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Has anyone else noticed that since the 13th of July, the gamedev.net facebook page has been posting new forum threads at an abundantly prolific rate? I don't think it's quite to the level of "every new post becomes a link" but in attempting to scroll back to when they started, I could be convinced...

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Advertisement

Yeah, I had to unfollow the facebook page...

Yeah I don't think this is helpful. The FB should link to topics with particularly interesting, useful, and detailed discussion.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Every couple hours is considered prolific? Sharing site updates is going to continue. It's not just forums, but also blogs, articles, and other items.

At the same time we will continue to improve to find the right balance of update rate and information of interest, but we also have to recognize that "interesting" is in the eye of the beholder. It's obvious that some topics are of higher interest than others, but very few links (re: none) have shown low interest from Facebook followers worldwide.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Prolific relative to the pace prior to the 13th (which was more like once every few weeks?)

On the other hand, the up-tick in post frequency got me to come back and check things out, so...

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Back when I had the Facebook page really growing steadily with high engagement I settled on clusters of 2-4 posts spaced at least an hour apart, no more than twice per day - usually aimed for morning commute and evening in the US.

It's certainly worth experimenting further, but I think there is definitely a threshold where updates are too frequent, and I think the current flow may be dangerously close to that for a lot of people.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I unfollowed from twitter for that reason. As I'm a frequent visitor of this site, it's a lot of duplicate info that's cluttering up the rest of my twitter feed. That doesn't mean the update rate is out of balance though, I'm just not the target audience and I'm fine with that.

The Facebook updates have been disabled for the forums (they were reduced) and are now only enabled for when new articles, classifieds, and indie projects are posted.

Twitter continues to have updates but at variable frequency per topic, and generally at a fairly low frequency. Batches of updates to twitter can occur, but that's just a timing thing.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement