• Create Account

Horizon:zero Dawn Cloud System

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 ChenA   Members   -  Reputation: 152

0Likes

Posted Today, 12:39 PM

recently  i read the gpu pro 7 article <<Real-Time Volumetric Cloudscapes>>, i want to implement a volumetric cloud system myself.

i create the 3d noise texture accord to the article.

and write the shader, test it. but i found it's hard to model the cloud.

i use the sample cloud density code from the article, and a weather texture from the video which embed in the siggraph 2015 ppt.

and the result is not good.

the article didn't mention the mapping method which mapping the weather texture to the sky dome.

i use a plane projection, just use the position.xy to calculate the weather texture uv.

but the uv is mostly distribute in the horizon direction, distortion is very obvious.

so how to mapping the weather texture to the sky dome?

and how to generate the weather?

i found the left bottom weather texture in the video maybe is not the original weather texture, it's just used to show some info.

has someone do the same thing?

any suggestion will be so appreciate.

thanks.

Edited by ChenA, Today, 12:52 PM.

hehe.

#2 Ryokeen   Members   -  Reputation: 561

1Likes

Posted Today, 03:30 PM

i kind of coded clouds similar to theirs(well based on their noise texture ideas), so the mapping is done by raymarching through the 3d noise texture and doing the density, coverage,refinement and lighting on each of the raymarch sample.

You can start raymarching by intersecting a lower cloud "plane" with the eye-vector at a pixel, then you march in steps and do your calculations.

Later on you can do an intersection with a sphere around your map so you get a nice curvature at the horizon.

So reading up on raymarching and volume rendering is a good idea.

About how one could generate the weather texture, that's something i need ideas for aswell. You could precompute/prepaint some weather textures for a single cloud.

Then based on the weather you want, pack some of the premade textures in a fbo, add some magic and use that in the final raymarch shader.

The cloud shape depends a lot on the baked 3D noise texture and how you combine it later on. I mean you have 4 channels with different octaves and only need a float density value. For me it was a lot of experimenting.

PARTNERS