C++ Programmer Needed (Diablo 2 style Open Realm)

Started by
3 comments, last by Tkodo 7 years, 7 months ago

Hello my name is Eric.

I have been working on this project since about 2011. I put a considerable amount of time into learning each part of development. This is a hobby project I enjoy making and playing. Here is some background about my myself:

I am a hobby game developer, I have taught myself each aspect of game creation from the bottom up. I am a Microsoft Sponsored Biz Spark Member now for several years. I have no restrictions on technology for my project. Literally full access to everything they have ever made. For that I am blessed and thankful!

I was fortunate enough to form a 10 man team back in 2013. From there I had a small player base growing and flowing content. I had regular by weekly meetings. Allot of great things happened then. We made some amazing artwork and transformed the world into what it is today. I have spent over $16,000 on assets and don't regret it at all, in fact I am still spending. Some team members are still active, others are in school or to busy working atm. I am hoping to find a programmer this time around. Here are some links to our content:

Here is our flash based website: (sound on the page turn it down a little before clicking here) www.tkodo.com

Here is our sound cloud: www.soundcloud.com/TheKingofDemons

Project is using C++, and direct x(9) it has a encrypted client and I use install shield for packaging, Sql Server database.

What I want to do with the program: Create Skills, more spells, add a complimenting combat action, upgrade the DX version, finish the external overlay, create a all In 1 camera system, add a crafting system, add the demon grading system, change from .wav to mp3, add a gameplay map.

There is plenty more to do including Textures for models paths. Special Fx creations for spells monsters and game objects. World creation and more.

Eric Kikkert: Lead Game Developer, World Designer, C/C++ Programmer, 3D Modeler/Animator, Graphics, Texture Artist. Mechanics, Writer.. well after 5 years I can do it all pretty much.

Jordan Dietrich: World Designer and Professional Game Tester.

Jay S.: Concepts and Mechanics Advisor. (I bounce ideas of him for alternate perspectives)

Sarah K.: Sex appeal Advisor. (The female perspective on all things FUFU and FEMALE)

Joel R.: Learning Coding and graphics. (Does texture work and reskins)

Chris T.: In-game Admin and special event holder. (He is a GM capable of hosting Giveaways)

Titan: Forum Administrator (He is Mia, but hell pop back by when new posts pop up on the forum)

Amorpheus: Sounds and Music Composer. (One of our newest members)

If you have any questions or want to get in the mix let me know.

Advertisement
I am in the mix for music and this project looks awesome

:D thanks for the compliment and glad to have to aboard! I believe the real trick to game development is to never stop. You just keep going and going and going. :) Like a certain bunny I remember. That and being lucky enough to meet other artists such as yourself.

I am going to go ahead and update the post with the team and such with more details. Figure it may help get some attention.

First thing, i clicked on link www.tkodo.com . There are literally boobs in center of screen, could write NSFW :P.

Tho this sounds quite interesting, although a bit scary since i cannot find ANY gameplay of the game.

What I want to do with the program: Create Skills, more spells, add a complimenting combat action, upgrade the DX version, finish the external overlay, create a all In 1 camera system, add a crafting system, add the demon grading system, change from .wav to mp3, add a gameplay map.

1: Skills, and spells are same thing differently worded, do you require mechanics to the skill (Code to orbit orbs around a character / point), GUI, or storage/cooldowns/mana usage?

2: Do you want to revamp / rework the combat system?

3: You want to rewrite the graphics code / engine, to newer version?

4: "finish the external overlay", do you need GUI?

5: "create a all In 1 camera system", Sounds like code spaghetti :D, or is it? .

6: Crafting system? sure. Is there inventory, and items to work with?

7: "add the demon grading system", you want skills again? differently named?

8: You want to re adapt audio to new format? What are you using that it doesn't support .mp3? but supports .wav?

9: add a gameplay map. You want environment artist / creator?

Sounds like you need half of a game here :huh:

But as you said "Never stop".

Hoping to get answers, and please is there any gameplay/sneak peak of the actual game what's there?

Till then, BT.

1. I word it that way because some programmers and readers are not aware of that fact. I do teach others so I just do it out of habit, I figure a programmer already knows and would see it as info for someone who didn't. As for the implements directly, I have new GUI graphics that are in a new format, I am dipping into scripting to loop in my other mechanics as extern C, I am teaching myself so learning these new technologies, as they are new to me. I also generate allot of the game objects from scratch as I need them and don't have in my assets already, this takes time also.

For the GUI graphics and such I have all and more. Putting the overlay straight into DX as a 100% external or using LUA or other scripted forms was one thing I didn't have much knowledge of till recently jumping into it.

I wanted to also change the inventory render from text to image based. I have the inventory GUI ready. I need the way the inventory itself scrolls and the items stack to go from left to right, I had an idea for this to put the slots as numbers and reference them this way so it doesn't need any type direction information.

I want the game client to stay around 60-80 fps to keep it lightweight and responsive in the extremely fast paced PVP. You can get looted in my game so having the system stall or crash and you die losing your lets say, Godly Plate of the Whale, you will lose interest in the game fairly quickly. I want to hook the players into the danger and excitement of it but making sure to minimize the possibility of it being the programs fault and not the players.

2. Combat system: I wanted to add some concepts I had for additional flare and originality. I put allot of effort into there originality so I won't get to much more into those at this time. I also wanted to add create sea combat, cannons, ammo, this needs another state unless it gets incorporated to what is there already. I have the basic particle effects already I was hoping to have some more specific functions made for instance: Lightning bolts that actually look like lightning are one of the issues I'm running into here. I want it to have the effect like when you touch a Plasma Orb and Sith Lord Lightning.

3. I wanted to upgrade to DX10 or 11 although I'm skeptical about 11 still. I had also looked into throwing it in UNITY too.

4. No I need to get more insight into the correct choices. Then I need to implement them. The 100% external overlay I have would be ideal but since it's direct if I decide to use scripting it isn't needed. The upside is I won't have to worry about any debug issues in the overlay. But also with scripts I can use Plugins and Players could even MOD there clients, since that is a very popular thing in todays gaming communities, Everyone loves there favorite hud.

5. It is not code sauce, It is a 6 layer camera, I want the player to decide how they want to see there game. To do this I will give them all options. Top down, Top Down at 45, 3D floater, OTS (over the shoulder), first person shooter, and Scope. There are guns and bombs in this game. I even got a couple black holes laying around too.

6. Yes there is, and yes also.

7. The demon system is a Ranking system based on your actual battle results with the Demon itself. The results of varies counters (stayed about 90% health as a example rank A, I have a list) determines the grade and the grade gives access to the higher demon specific mutation ability.

8. There is a editor which compiles and encrypts the clients data. It currently only accepts .wav.

9. Add a gameplay map to the overlay which ever style it ends up and put in NPC Icons, path finding arrows the works.

You tube Tkodo gameplay, this video was made a very long time ago. Also there is a Spanish tutorial made also. He has made allot so his is much more pleasing but it's in Spanish. This game has been playable since 2010. I am redesigning bits and parts adding every day so it is currently offline.

:D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement