World Boxing Manager - spiritual sequel to free game, now on Greenlight

Started by
8 comments, last by Aggroblakh 7 years, 5 months ago

UTN8gFa.jpg

Check this out on Greenlight and upvote if interested!
World Boxing Manager is a game in which you develop and manage the careers of young, hungry boxers desperate for glory. You scout and recruit fighters from a pool of amateurs who come to train at your gym - it's up to you to decide who to mold into championship material. Build their careers up in regional events until they are ready to make the leap onto the world stage and fight for world titles.
Can you develop a world champion fighter capable of unifying all of the titles in his weight class? Try this game and find out!
iVOLEn9.jpg

If this game looks familiar, it's because it is a VERY heavily upgraded re-imagining of a game I made for fun five years ago:
Why, then, charge money for World Boxing Manager when Kickboxing Manager is free?
Because it's a better game.
Kickboxing Manager had tons of flaws and balance issues which I had always meant to go back and address, but was never able to due to university and, later, start-up life getting in the way. Now that I have a normal 9-5 job, I've finally gotten the chance to redesign and redevelop the game from the ground up, allowing me to craft a spiritual sequel which is much deeper and more strategic both inside and outside of the ring.
oOHrgPC.jpg
If you're more interested in the tactics and strategy of a sport, give this game a shot!

Advertisement

Just to elaborate on the match engine a bit, I figured I'd describe the styles that each fighter can be generated with in the game.

Boxer

Boxers are fighters that stay on the outside, using their jabs and crosses to pick their opponents apart while avoiding damage as much as possible on defense. This, however, does not mean that boxers are overly defensive or timid in the ring; it simply means that they prefer to control the pace of the match and keep it at a distance. They are perfectly capable of throwing fast and power combinations when the opportunity arises.

Boxers tend to struggle against swarmers. Swarmers are good at crowding boxers and preventing them from fighting the way they want.

Boxer Training Plan:

Boxer.JPG

Swarmer

Swarmers like to move in close using slick body movement and footwork, where they can unload combinations of power punches to both the head and the body. They excel at cutting off the ring and cornering their opponent. The punches of a swarmer, however, are not sloppy or uncoordinated. On the contrary, a swarmer's greatest strength is his ability to throw power punches with great skill and timing once the opponent is trapped.

Swarmers tend to struggle against sluggers. Sluggers can usually punish the swarmers with heavy punches as they attempt to work their way inside.

Swarmer Training Plan:

Swarmer.JPG

Slugger

Sluggers are aggressive and tough fighters who enjoy throwing down and trading blows with their opponents. Their punches are neither smooth nor well-timed; sluggers rely on raw power and physical prowess to win the day. They are strong, fast, and are generally willing to take a punch in order to throw one back. Unlike the swarmer, the slugger will unleash a single massive power punch rather than stringing his hooks and uppercuts into combinations, hoping to simply knock his opponent silly instead of crowding them.

Sluggers tend to struggle against counterpunchers. Counterpunchers can avoid the powerful but clumsy punches of a slugger and exploit the resulting openings.

Slugger Training Plan:

Slugger.JPG

Counterpuncher

Counterpunchers are defensive-minded fighters that prefer to sit back and exploit whatever openings their opponents leave. They use their expert timing and movement to avoid attacks, then punish the attacker with heavy counters. The counterpuncher does not rely on his power to knock his opponent out - he instead times his punches to catch his opponent at the perfect moment.

Counterpunchers tend to struggle against boxers. Boxers generally possess the technique and speed to prevent mistakes for the counterpuncher to exploit.

Counterpuncher Training Plan:

Counterpuncher.JPG

Balanced

Balanced fighters possess no glaring strengths or weaknesses, allowing them to be paired against any opponent with no real handicap. This does, however, mean that the balanced fighter is not able to focus on a core set of skills during training, which may hurt him against an opponent with a strong tendency towards a specific style.

Balanced Training Plan:

Balanced.JPG

Hope this helps shed some light on a few of the things that I implemented into the match engine to make it a more strategic experience!

Link to the Greenlight page for more information:

Steamcommunity.com

Please upvote if you're interested!

Or if you're skeptical, please do try out the free spiritual predecessor to this game, keeping in mind World Boxing Manager is an even better game:

Indiedb.com

It's always flattering when someone checks out the fruits of your labour!

Matchmaking

To get an idea of what happens in the game outside of the ring, I'm going to describe the process of matchmaking.

Selecting a Weight Class

The matchmaking screen defaults to whatever weight class your currently selected fighter typically fights at. It is possible to set up matches at different weight classes, but there are stat penalties that are incurred when you do so.

DifferentWeightClassSmall.JPG

You are able to move up in weight or move down in weight. Moving up will cause your fighter to suffer penalties to all types of punches, as well as clinch, power, recovery, and toughness. Your speed and timing, however, will receive slight boosts.

Moving down will cause your fighter to suffer penalties to all types of punches, as well as timing, speed, endurance, and recovery. The tradeoff is that you will hit harder and be able to take more damage, which means a bonus to power and toughness.

Selecting a Match Type

There are four types of matches: undercards, co-main events, main events, and title fights. You will start off only being able to book undercards and co-main events. In doing so, you can only select dates for which events already exist.

Once your marketability and reputation improves, then you will have the freedom to schedule main events, which lets you book an event on any date. You will only receive PPV bonus money for fighting in the main event, so getting to this point means you can start earning REAL money.

Title fights function the same as a main event, except that you can select a title to place on the line. You can only fight for one belt at a time. This was a deliberate design decision in order to prevent multiple belts from essentially being merged into a single one if one fighter was able to unify the division. I wanted unification to feel like more of an accomplishment by forcing the player to earn every belt.

Rejections

Setting up a match, just like in real life, tends to rely on outside factors.

If the player fighter is ranked too low, he will be overlooked for a main event. After all, nobody is going to pay for a PPV headlined by a nobody! This also happens if the player fighter's marketability is too low. He will need to win a few fights to boost his reputation in the boxing world.

DB1bu4p.jpg

However, this does not mean that you can pick on unknown fighters to pad your record. Other fighters aren't stupid enough to take a fight they have no chance of winning.

HighRankSmall.JPG

Marketability is irrelevant if your demands are simply too high. Other fighters will balk at someone demanding a purse he doesn't deserve. Marketability is also irrelevant if your fighter has lost too many of his recent fights. If your fighter has suffered a string of losses, he will have less leverage in negotiations.

oGMzzvh.jpg

If your fighter's style counters his potential opponent's, then that opponent will be more wary of taking the fight, and may demand that you take a reduced payout and/or PPV split.

StyleCounterSmall.JPG

These are just some of the potential pitfalls the player might encounter when attempting to make matches. And boxing fans wonder why big fights in real life never happen!

I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it!

As usual, if you found this interesting, please feel free to visit my Greenlight page and upvote the game!

Steamcommunity.com

Or try the free prequel to this game:

Indiedb.com

Match Preparation

If you haven't already read my previous features, feel free to peruse them here:

Matchmaking

Style Matchups

Now that we've managed to get a match set up, there is a lot to do before the actual night of the fight.

Begin Training Camp

It isn't just business as usual before a match. A fighter is going to have to start a training camp in order to prepare for his next opponent properly. Once a match has been arranged, the Begin Training Camp button appears on the training screen, allowing you to, well, begin training camp. As the fighter's manager, you need to time the start of training camp appropriately so that your fighter has enough time to cut weight and make the weight limit.

Some fighters are better at cutting weight than others, which means they will need less time in training camp and will be able to fight more frequently. It's up to you as the trainer to judge whether a fighter is good enough to be worth keeping if he takes a long time in between fights to make weight limits.

WeightCuts.JPG

It is also important to note that training during training camps will cost your gym money, whereas training normally is free. You may be required to time training camps properly if money is tight, since your fighter will be forced to rest if the gym runs out!

LackOfFunds.JPG

Training

Training during training camps is much more intense than training normally between matches. Gains made during training camps occur at a much faster rate than usual, but are only applied to the next fight. Fighting frequently might bring in more money, but will hinder the long term development of a fighter. Whether or not you jump from one match to the next or choose to invest in the long term growth of your fighter is up to you as the manager.

Gainz.JPG

For an extra boost, you can hire trainers. A fighter may only be trained by a single trainer at a time during training camp, but trainers can train multiple fighters. You must be careful not to have your trainers train too many different fighters at the same time, however, as the effect of each trainer is spread out among all of the fighters he is training at the moment.

Staff.JPG

Hiring trainers involves haggling over monthly salaries and purse cuts. The trainer's cut is taken off the fight purse of the fighter he is currently training.

The trainer's stats are self-explanatory - high Offense means he is better at training a fighter's offensive stats, while high Defense means he is better at training a fighter's defensive stats. What is careful to note, however, is the trainer's style. A trainer will only agree to work for you if you have at least one fighter that matches his style.

If you manage training camps properly, then your fighter should have no problems making weight on the night before fight night. If you're not careful, though, he will be forced to forfeit the coming match, as well as any belts he may hold for the organization hosting the match!

WeighIns.JPG

I hope this feature on match preparation has been fun to read for you!

As usual, if you found this interesting, please feel free to visit my Greenlight page and upvote the game:

Steamcommunity.com

Or if you're skeptical, please do try out the free spiritual predecessor to this game, keeping in mind World Boxing Manager is an even better game:

Indiedb.com

Every vote counts! Thanks for checking my game out!

Gym Expenses

Finances.JPG

Before we get onto the actual details of fight night, I'd like to talk some more about the details of the game outside of the actual matches. Today, I'll be discussing gym expenses. We've already gone over training expenses, trainer salaries, and trainer purse percentages, so I'll go into detail regarding the other two forms of expenses.

Networks

Once you've got a match set up, you can choose to hire a network to cover the event. You do not have to be in the main event to do this - for gameplay reasons, all that is required is that your fighter is going to be fighting in the event.

Inbox.JPG

Networks have several attributes and stats that need to be taken into consideration.

Attributes:

• Region - Self-explanatory. The event you wish to cover needs to be in the same region as the network you are negotiating with. Networks aren't interested in promoting foreign fighters.
  • Reach - Refers to how popular the network is. Corresponds roughly to the marketability of your fighter. If the disparity between your fighter's marketability and the network's reach is too large, the network may balk at covering the event. After all, it's a business, not a charity - a network isn't going to spend money promoting a fighter that isn't popular enough.
  • Subscribers - The number of people subscribed to this network. More on this later.

Networks.JPG

Stats:

• Advertising - How good the network is at selling a fight, which determines how many people tune in specifically to see the event. In practice, this determines how many PPV sales the event will earn based on the marketability of the two fighters in the main event, along with your own fighter's marketability.
  • Viewer Loyalty - This stat determines how fanatic the network's viewer base is, and thus how reliable the subscriber number is. In gameplay terms, this value helps determine what percentage of the subscriber number will tune in to the event, forming a baseline for PPV sales on fight night.
  • Hype - The ability of the network to hype up your fighter. This translates into extra gains in marketability if your fighter wins his match. Beware, however, as this also translates into increased loss in marketability if your fighter loses!
  • Subscription Fee - Dollars per viewer, which literally just multiplies PPV numbers into cold, hard cash. You don't see any of it unless your fighter is in the main event, however!

Once again, this isn't a charity. You're going to have to haggle over the hosting fee and fork over some money to get the network to cover your event. You should really only do so if you're confident your fighter can win his match.

Gym Upgrades

GymInfo.JPG

First and foremost is the gym equipment level. The gym equipment level determines the base gain for each day of training, so all the stats and boosts in the world won't help you if your gym equipment level is too low.

In addition, you have the option of upgrading the gym itself. Upgrading the entire gym increases its capacity, which allows you to train more fighters and hire more trainers. It also increases the number of students you can have at your gym, which gives you a bigger pool of potential fighters to train professionally.

NoSpace.JPG

With all these expenses, how do we earn money back? That'll have to wait for my next feature, otherwise this one will be far too long!

If you thought this was interesting, please do make your way to my Greenlight page to upvote it! Every vote counts!

World Boxing Manager on Greenlight

Or if you still have doubts, feel free to try out Kickboxing Manager, the free prequel to this game!

Kickboxing Manager

Gym Income

Continuing where I left off last time, there is one more thing to talk about prior to discussing the match engine in detail: Gym Income.

Students

One small, consistent form of income is student fees. It's a simple flat fee that you receive from each student training at your gym as an amateur. But what is the point of having students?

Students.JPG

Students are fighters that come and train at your gym. The quality of the students that choose to seek you out depends on your reputation as a manager - the more renowned you are, the better the students you receive will be.

LackOfFunds.JPG

From your pool of students, you can select some to train as professionals. Whether they are professionals or not, however, students will be available to spar against both each other and the professional fighters you are currently training.

Sparring

The sparring screen is a simple screen that shows fighters and students from your gym side by side. A sparring match works roughly like a regular match, allowing you to test your fighters against one another to get a feel for how they might perform in real matches.

SparringMatch.JPG

Sparring, however, serves another purpose. After a sparring match, each fighter has a small chance to gain a trait. Most fighter traits simply raise the limit of a particular stat to 25 rather than the usual 20. Others, however, bestow advantages such as reducing the effect of aging on a fighter, which lengthens his career, or increasing the rate at which he is able to cut weight in preparation for a match. Sparring is the only way to unlock traits, so it pays off to do it on a regular basis.

TraitGain.JPG

Fight Purses and Win Bonuses

Student fees are more of a side income than anything. Most of your income will be from fight purses, win bonuses, PPV buys, and network viewers. The fight purse is negotiated prior to a match.

When your fighter is starting out, the purses you will earn are pretty much a pittance. You will have to win matches and increase your fighter's marketability in order to command a greater match purse during negotiations. You are guaranteed this purse whether your fighter wins or loses, but a win will also net you a 50% win bonus. It's important to remember, however, that trainers will get a percentage of the match purse based on their contract.

PPV Buys and Network Ratings

PPV buys are only applicable if your fighter is fighting in the main event of the evening. PPV sales are determined by the marketability and recent form of both fighters involved. It won't matter if your fighter is considered an All-Time Great if he happens to have lost three of his last four matches!

PPVBuys.JPG

Network ratings function similarly to PPV buys, except that you will receive money whether your fighter is in the main event or not. After all, you were the one who negotiated the contract! As an undercard fighter, however, you will only receive a fraction of the income - the full amount is only received once your fighter reaches main event status.

It's a long, difficult road to mass appeal and big paydays, but once you make it there you can really rake in the dough!

I hope you enjoyed this feature explaining ways to earn money for your gym. Tune in next time, where I'll finally be discussing the match engine! Until then, please do make your way to my Greenlight page to upvote it! Every vote counts!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767821754

Or if you still have doubts, feel free to try out Kickboxing Manager, the free prequel to this game!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/kickboxing-manager

Fight Night - Range and Offense

So, you've made a fight, gone through training camp, and made weight successfully. Now the event finally begins!

Stq6WUu.jpg

Range

A typical fight can occur at three ranges: on the outside, on the inside (or "in the pocket"), and less commonly, in the clinch.

Outside - Slightly further than and up to an arm's length away, this range is ideal for jabs and crosses. Fighting on the outside allows a fighter to catch his opponent on the end of these straight punches, allowing them to inflict the most damage. Boxers and, to a lesser extent, counterpunchers prefer to fight at this range due to their expert timing and quick jabs.

Inside - Less than an arm's length away, this range is ideal for fighters who are able to make use of powerful hooks and devastating uppercuts. Since these punches do not require full extension of the arm, an able infighter can utilize his excellent body movement and footwork to create leverage for these looping punches and pound his opponent into mush. This is the desired range for swarmers and, to a lesser extent, sluggers.

Clinch - When fighters are so close that their arms get tangled up with each other, it is known as a clinch. Fights in the clinch generally don't last all that long, but can happen. Clinching can also be used defensively in order to get some time to rest if a fighter has been dazed or knocked down. After all, an opponent whose arms are tangled up can't throw punches! The referee will break apart a clinch and reset the fight to the outside if the clinch lasts too long.

Sq3OTGb.jpg

Offense

There are several basic punches that a fighter can use when he is the aggressor - jab, cross, lead hook, rear hook, and uppercut. Each of these punches can be thrown from the outside or inside. Within the clinch, a fighter is limited to hooks and uppercuts.

Regardless of what punch is used, the fighter may or may not precede it with a jab. In real life boxing, the jab is often used to gauge distance and set up a following attack. This game is no different, and if a fighter throws a jab before he follows it up with a punch, the success rate for the second punch is slightly increased.

IvCCztx.jpg

On the opposite end of the spectrum of finesse, rather than setting up his attack with a jab, a fighter can choose to throw a haymaker. Every punch except a jab has a haymaker version of itself, which has a much lower chance of success but inflicts far more damage.

gEtaZB0.jpg

A fighter can choose to attack the head or the body. Attacking the head tends to have a lower chance of success, but will do more damage and carries the chance of an instant knockout if the opponent is caught clean on the chin.

Attacks to the body tend to connect more easily, but have a less noticeable, cumulative effect. As a fighter's body sustains damage, he will become more susceptible to knockdowns. The opponent will also suffer a gradually increasing penalty to the success rate of all of his offensive and defensive actions as his body begins to accumulate damage.

PFMo59u.jpg

All punches each have their own attribute level associated with them, representing the general effectiveness and proficiency each fighter possesses when using that particular punch. The punch attribute, however, is not the sole determinant of whether or not a punch lands.

The match engine is designed such that accuracy, timing, power, etc are calculated and compared independently of one another. Thus, whether on offense or defense, the relevant attributes of both fighters are being compared more directly against one another. Without getting into too much of what's going on under the hood, overly aggressive sluggers cannot just overwhelm opponents through sheer aggression - if none of a fighter's punches land, he cannot knock out his opponent!

JkINDzO.jpg

The effectiveness of offensive and physical attributes scale in a linear manner as their stats increase, while the the effectiveness of defensive and mental attributes scale in an exponential manner as their stats increase. What this means for the player is that aggressive and rugged fighters will tend to find more success at lower levels, and defensive tacticians will become more dominant at higher levels of competition. I'd like to think that this feature reflects real life boxing.

With all these offensive tools available, how is a fighter's opponent supposed to react? Tune in next time to find out! Until then, please do make your way to my Greenlight page to upvote it! Every vote counts!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/kickboxing-manager

Fight Night - Defense, Part 1

Last time we described how a fighter might be able to attack his opponent. What happens, however, when the opponent tries to do the same?

Predicting the Attack

When a fighter is the recipient of an attack, he must first determine WHERE he is being attacked before he can decide WHAT to do (more philosophical minds might also wonder WHY he is being attacked, but that is beyond the scope of both this article and the game).

An attack can either come against a fighter's head or his body. Whether or not the fighter receiving the attack chooses correctly is determined by a combination of his defensive stats, his mental stats, and his speed as compared to his opponent. A fighter whose opponent possesses far better timing, head movement, etc is more likely to be fooled into defending the wrong place.

ChoseWrong.JPG

If a fighter guesses wrong, then he takes the full brunt of whatever his opponent threw at him. If he guesses correctly though, there are a number of options he can go with from there.

Blocking

Blocking an attack is the simplest way to defend against it, and as a result, is used more commonly than the other methods of defense. The success of a fighter's attempt to block an attack is a function of certain defensive and mental stats (which ones are used differ depending on whether he is defending his head or his body) compared with the relevant offensive stats of his opponent.

If his attempt to block is successful, the damage taken from the punch is reduced drastically. In addition, a fighter cannot be knocked out or knocked down if he successfully blocks an attack.

BlockHeadSuccess.JPG

BlockBodySuccess.JPG

Blocking may prevent a catastrophic defeat, but it also results in the fighter using it taking some damage, as well as preventing him from being able to answer back with a punch of his own. This means that his opponent is free to follow up with another attack, this time with a slightly higher success rate. Rather than taking partial damage, therefore, it is often preferable to avoid taking any damage entirely.

Dodging

If a fighter is quick enough, it is always better to avoid being hit at all. Thus, a fighter being attacked may also choose to dodge it. Similar to the way in which blocks are calculated, whether or not a fighter manages to dodge an attack is some function of his defensive and mental stats vs. the relevant stats of his opponent.

As dodging an attack tends to be more difficult than blocking one, the success rate of dodging is lower than that of blocking. There are ways to increase the success rate of dodging via the use of match tactics (more on these later), but be aware that doing so tends to sacrifice success in other aspects of the match.

DodgeSuccess.JPG

If a fighter successfully dodges, there is a chance that he may move out of his opponent's way entirely and turn the tables in order to begin his own offensive. Whether or not he does so depends on his mental stats such as Aggression and Adaptability. If he decides to press the advantage in this manner, he becomes the attacker and the initiative passes to him.

TurnTables.JPG

More often than not, a fighter will simply dodge an attack, and his opponent will line up another. Unlike blocks, a follow-up attack to a dodged punch does not carry with it a bonus to its success rate - its chance of hitting remains the same as if it were the first punch attempted.

Standing in place and allowing his opponent to attack again is not necessarily a poor course of action for the defending fighter - a good counterpuncher, for instance, might actually prefer to keep letting his opponent attack in order to leave more openings for counter attacks, or even just to tire his opponent out! A missed punch is more tiring than a landed one, so successfully dodging an attack increases the amount of fatigue sustained by the opposing fighter.

DangerousOnDefense.JPG

I had originally intended to cover all defensive maneuvers in this feature, but there is still a lot to cover. I'll have to save it for next time to prevent this article from becoming enormous, so tune in next time in order to read about counter attacks and trading shots!

As always, if you found this feature interesting, please do make your way to my Greenlight page to upvote the game!

Fight Night - Defense, Part 2

In the last feature, I described how a defending fighter can block or dodge an incoming attack from an opponent.

This time, I will talk about countering and trading blows.

Counters

When a fighter is attacked, he may decide to attempt a counter. A counter attack is an attack by the defending fighter that pre-empts the opponent's own attack,

thereby catching him off guard. As this is typically a difficult maneuver to pull off, counters have the lowest success rate of all defensive options available to a fighter.

The trade-off is that the damage done by a counter is higher than usual.

The lowered success rate is mitigated somewhat by a Counterpuncher fighting against a Slugger - Counterpunchers enjoy a major boost to the success rate of counters

and a minor boost to the damage dealt by counters when facing a Slugger.

CounterSuccess.JPG

There is a chance that the defender may attempt a specialized counter. A specialized counter occurs when the defender attempts to predict the type of attack his opponent
will use. Counters of this type have an even lower success rate, but do drastically more damage if successful.

If you are employing a match tactic that calls on your fighter to watch out for a specific type of attack (more on match tactics later), then the chances of both attempting a specialized

counter and successfully pulling it off are greatly increased.

SpecializedCounter.JPG

Like after a successful dodge, it is possible that the tables may be turned after a successful counter, causing the defender to go on the attack. The chances of this happening,

however, are calculated based on the mental attributes of the attacker, not the defender. An overly aggressive fighter is likely to keep attempting to attack whether he's been

countered or not, while a less maniacal fighter may decide to stop and fight a little more cautiously.

TurnTablesCounter.JPG

Trading Blows

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Rather than attempting any sort of defensive maneuver, therefore, a fighter being attacked may simply decide to eat

his opponent's punch in order to throw back one of his own. Sluggers, naturally, are more likely to resort to this method of "defense."

TradeBlows.JPG

A fighter will generally respond in kind with the same punch he received from the opponent. However, like counters, it is possible for a defender to specialize when trading an attack with

his opponent. Unlike counters, the way a fighter "specializes" a return attack has nothing to do with what the opponent throws - he simply chooses a specific punch to throw. This means that a

fighter with a strong uppercut is more likely to throw an uppercut in response to whatever his opponent throws, regardless of which punch it was.

TradeBlowsSpecialized.JPG

When a fighter chooses to trade blows, he takes extra damage from the opponent's attack before he has the chance to throw back. Thus, it can be risky to do so unless

the fighter has high enough physical and mental stats to withstand the added damage. Having an overly aggressive fighter who is unable to take punishment is a recipe for disaster!

FailedTrade.JPG

This concludes the discussion on defense in matches. I did, however, touch a little bit on match tactics, and it is to this topic that I will turn in my next feature.

I hope you enjoyed this article on countering and trading blows. If you found it interesting, please do make your way to my Greenlight page to upvote the game! Every vote counts!

Fight Night - Match Tactics, Part 1

Last week, I mentioned the use of match tactics to influence the fight. This week, I'll be discussing how some of them work.

BetweenRounds.JPG

Use the Jab/Cross/Lead Hook/Rear Hook/Uppercut More!

This set of tactics is rather straightforward - it simply prompts your fighter to use a certain type of punch more. It goes without saying that only one of the five can be active at the same time,

since it wouldn't make much sense to use all punches more! But why bother telling your fighter to favour a certain punch?

The obvious reason is if your fighter is much better at throwing a certain type of punch than he is at throwing the others. If he has a devastating uppercut, it simply makes sense to throw it more often.

UseTheTactic.JPG

You, as the manager, do have to be somewhat careful of simply favouring a single punch, however. If your fighter possesses a low Adaptability rating, he may end up throwing the punch TOO often

- which leaves him open to be countered more easily if the opponent begins to specifically look out for that punch.

Thus, if you do choose to make use of one of these tactics, you must ensure that your fighter has a decent Adaptability rating relative to his opponent's Adaptability, or at least make sure that your

opponent simply has lousy Mental and/or Defensive stats in general (which would make it hard for him to dodge or counter your punches whether or not he can predict what kind of punches are being thrown).

Watch Out For The Cross/Lead Hook/Rear Hook/Uppercut!

Following on from the previous set of tactics, this set instructs your fighter to watch out for certain types of punches. With one of these active, the success rate of all defensive actions against the punch

your fighter is watching out for are moderately increased, accompanied by a slight penalty against all other types of punches.

WatchOutTactic.JPG

Generally, it's best to use one of these tactics when it's clear that your opponent is favouring a certain type of punch. Otherwise, you'll be penalizing your own fighter for no appreciable gain. Note that an

opponent with high Adaptability is unlikely to heavily favour a single punch, so these tactics are best used against a fighter who has trouble adapting his style. It's also worth noting that there is no "Watch

out for the jab!" tactic, as the jab is generally not dangerous enough to bother watching out for.

BetweenRoundsFavouritePunch.JPG

Hit Him With All You've Got!

HitHimTactic.JPG

This tactic is a stand-alone tactic that neither nullifies nor is nullified by any other tactic. All it really does it increase the likelihood of throwing haymakers. It does not offer any bonuses to success rate or

power - it merely instructs your fighter to throw them more frequently. It is best used either against an opponent on the verge of being knocked out, against an opponent with poor defensive abilities, or

against an opponent who doesn't seem to be all that good at taking damage.

Stick and Move!

StickMoveTactic.JPG

This tactic instructs your fighter to throw a few punches at a time rather than throwing constantly. It is best used for fighters with high defensive abilities, as employing this tactic will place your fighter

on defense more often than not. Note that this does not necessarily cause your fighter to stay at a certain range or make use of certain punches - there are other tactics for that.

Overwhelm Him!

OverwhelmTactic.JPG

Nullifies the previous tactic, because it's basically the opposite - it tells your fighter to keep throwing punches and string together combinations. Naturally, it's best used when your fighter is a superb

offensive fighter. This does not necessarily mean Sluggers - any other type of fighter can be considered a superb offensive fighter relative to his opponents if, for example, his Offense stats are high for

someone at his level of marketability.

Go For The Head!/Work The Body!

GoForHeadTactic.JPG

WorkBodyTactic02.JPG

These two are lumped together because they essentially do the same thing - they instruct your fighter to target the head or body more. Attacking the head deals more damage and carries

with it the chance of an instant knockout. Attacking the body wears out your opponent and tends to have a higher success rate.

If you notice that your opponent is dodging most of your attacks to the head, then it makes sense to target the body. Conversely, if you notice that your opponent isn't particularly good on

defense, then you can attack the head with impunity. It's up to you, the manager, to make the call!

This feature is getting too long to cover all the tactics at once, so I'll finish the job next time! In the meantime, please do make your way to my Greenlight page to upvote the game if you're intrigued! Every vote counts!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement