Rotoscope animation for video game

Started by
2 comments, last by Komatsu 7 years, 5 months ago

Maybe someone would be interested to watch the process of making 2D animation for the video game using rotoscope technique. Here you can se the resulting image:

8508480.gif

This is the warrior named Sopp, one of the characters from RPG/TBS game Ash of Gods (in development now).

And such was the process of his creation:

First we record a video with an actor;
• Then we use it to create a rough animation with a special software;
• Animators flesh it out turning the silhouette into an actual character;
• Color and fine details are added to the basic animation.

Within several hours of intensive work – an animation for Sopp’s idle state is created.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread
Advertisement

can you tell me more about the live video captured. what kind of lens and Is the camera recording at a 45 degree angle from the target subject. also does your software allow you to resize the video so you can match the video size to what you want the target animation size to be. I am interested in the rotoscope and traditional animation combination. I just dont know enough details to properly set up a video to play around with it. also for small movements it seems a bit straight forward but how do you go from a walking video to the animation walking in place. do you just reposition the frames on top of each other so it looks like she/he is walking in place..

can you tell me more about the live video captured.

Sure. We recorded this video, using the camera Red Scarlet-X with standard lens of 35mm. From the start we choose the room for the shooting considering the fact that we want to receive the result that should be as close to isometric perspective as it's possible. Our game designer Dmitry is well-known person among role-players in Moscow (I mean live action role-playing games, not only the computer gaming) and his friends helped us out to find the right place which at the same time didn't cost a lot. The camera was mounted at the height of 4,5 meters, at the distance approximately of 6 meters from the point where the actor was placed (the distance was previously calculated in Maya). Initially the video was recorded in standard soft from Red Scarlet-X, on Mac Book Pro. The camera was rotated against a clock by 90 degrees so that it had to be rotated back before recording. We use MediaCoder x64 to reduce the video's frame rate and turn it as we need. After that our animators worked it over in TV-Paint, moving the video file through filters to leave only the silhouette. And, finally we did the classic dirty line, cleanup line and painting. As we have quite many characters in the game, all these actions is repeating many times. See another example:

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread

Thank you that was an awesome amount of information. Your project looks so fun and well done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement