• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

c or c++ for games?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 cyberg   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 January 2000 - 10:41 AM

hello, i have read the article on language between c and c++ to learn first. i know these 2 language, but i ask myself which chose for make games, for now i use just straight C with vc++, but there is no need to use straight because vc++ compile in c++. i use c because i heard that it is a little faster than c++, but with the speed of computer today, that little difference is still important?? and professionnal games programmers use c or c++ ??? cyberg

Sponsor:

#2 Domini   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 22 January 2000 - 11:34 AM

Its true that C programs can be faster than C++, because of the compiler has to do things with the classes, I don''t feel it is that much of a difference. I find it easier to represent game characters and levels with C++ objects. An OOP approach to a project usually makes development go better.

Domini

#3 Staffan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 January 2000 - 12:06 PM

I prefer C++ because of the structure and encapsulation. Anyhow, the speed you gain in C is quite small. Code the bottlenecks in pure assembly and you should have a structured OOP-program as well as a blazing fast one.

#4 cyberg   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 January 2000 - 12:18 PM

thanks guys
i think i will go for c++ now, my code will be better structured for a little lost of speed...

cyberg

#5 I-Shaolin   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 22 January 2000 - 03:36 PM

Cyborg,

This is a question that I have struggled with myself, but for what I have seen recently, C++ is the way to go. Besides the fact that you can structure your program much more effeciently with C++ than C, many of the reasons behind not using C++ are no longer true (at least not true enough to matter). As you pointed out, most people are using C++ compilers anyway even if they are writing C code.

What''s far more important is the effecient use of the language. Well written C++ code will run circles around badly written C code.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS