• Create Account

I'm new to opengl, used glide before

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 EB   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 January 2000 - 04:18 PM

I was working on direct x and decided that it was terrible. So now I''m working with openGl. I wrote my renderer in glide, and in glide you have to tranform your polygons to screen coordinates and then render them to the screen. My problem is that I can''t seem to get OpenGl to do just that. I think I might have the transformations on and so its transforming my screen coordinates as if they were world coordinates. But I''m just guessing. when I us glVertex2i it works fine but I know I''m not using the z buffer or all the other things that go along with it. But when I gues glVertex3i I don''t see anything... Like I say I think the above is the problem. Anyone here have any experience with this and know how to configure opengl to not use any of its transformations. Thanks, Eric

Sponsor:

#2 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9599

Posted 23 January 2000 - 06:22 PM

Well, if you want to convert to screen coordinates manually, you''re pretty much stuck with glVertex2d. But the fun and joy of OpenGL is specifying things in world coordinates and let the OpenGL matrices transform it into view and screen coordinates for you. It should be that hard to translate your existing renderer to this format, you just let GL handle the screen transformations for you.

#3 trixter   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 January 2000 - 07:34 PM

damn str8! that''s the one thing i miss now that i use D3D. opengl is easier for doing transformations... as well as more efficient at storing vertices and normals. just let opengl do all the transformations for you, it''s simple that way and it uses hardware t&l.

i hate how i end up wasting a lot of memory on redundant vertices in D3D. i thought about using indices, but then i read that indice modes tranform all of the vertices just so that it can pick out the indexed ones. that would be a lot of redundant transformations in the engine i''m working on. i''m getting about 60fps on a p2-450 and a v3 3000, so i guess it''s fast enuff. my earlier version was in opengl and it was a lot cleaner and simpler, but i got used to D3D and i got my code fairly clean now. i switched to D3D since i have an easy time with directdraw and texture management and a few other things like compatibilty, etc.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS