how much longer do you see OpenGL being used?

Started by
30 comments, last by sporty 22 years, 4 months ago
do you think in any way that the OpenGL api is dying? if it is, how much longer do you think it can hold out for? a bunch of people i''ve spoke with say the DirectX API is becoming increasingly more friendly to work with and, at this point in the game, it''d probably be safer for me to just go ahead and learn it first.. This is not meant for a flamewar, I''m not asking "HEY WHICH API SHULD I UZE", I''m just asking if the opinions I''ve heard about OpenGL are true, that it will be obsolete in some time.
Advertisement
OpenGL is the only well documented cross-platform graphics api I know of that''s this good. SO I don''t see it going out any time soon.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
OpenGL will die very soon - at that same time that medical/technical research visualisation dies, the same time that serious 3D graphics dies, and the same time that every operating system dies other than windows!

OpenGL has been around for ages, and will be around for ages. Perhaps the only reason you posted this was because you read too much into microsoft''s global domination. But let me tell you this - it AIN''T gonna happen!!!!

I keep looking at Direct3D, but I''m a long way off being converted to it. Any API that is almost totally re-written (or at least highly modified) for each release has fundamental problems with it. Sure they both do the same job. But OpenGL is easier to use, isn''t restricted to windows platforms, and has been stable for bloody ages!

Regards
amen

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
quote:Original post by sporty
a bunch of people i've spoke with say the DirectX API is becoming increasingly more friendly to work with and, at this point in the game, it'd probably be safer for me to just go ahead and learn it first..

They are the biggest shit heads you will ever meet.

OpenGL and DirectX are just about the same.

Who could say that DirectX is more friendly. Yes, DirectX 8 is more friendly than 7,(friendly I am assuminging means programming friendyly) but that is not an accomplishment.

Even if DirectX 9 is easier to use than OpenGL, OpenGL will not die.

It is used on Linux, Palm Pilots, and it can be used with SDL which is at least 5 times as easy to use and 40 times lessy messy than DirectDraw which isn't even a part of DirectX 8 anymore, making 2D game development even more confusing than it needs to be.

I am not saying not to use DirectX, it is not a bad API, nor is it worse than OpenGL. Here is the best solution:

Go to the book store. Pick up these two books: "OpenGL Game Programming" and "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming." Go up to the nearest person and say "Which one sounds better?" Whatever they chose, buy it. Thats the API you will use.

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on December 4, 2001 8:13:16 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
quote:Original post by sporty
This is not meant for a flamewar, I''m not asking "HEY WHICH API SHULD I UZE", I''m just asking if the opinions I''ve heard about OpenGL are true, that it will be obsolete in some time.

Not a very smart question.

Don''t take other people''s opinions for true. Investigate everything yourself; try out both APIs and choose whatever you feel. All that a thread like this does is cause people to spew forth hate and misinformation depending on which side of the fence they''re on.

Me? I''m a code whore - whatever "does me" is what I use.
quote:Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
1)DirectX is by Microsoft and therefore the code is ALWAYS messy even if you didn''t have to literately piss on it to make it work.

Just because the executives that run Microsoft have mistargeted goals and backwards tactics doesn''t magically make every peice of code that their company procudes into crap. DirectX obviously works, since some people use it. Don''t try to start any more flame wars, honestly...

3)OpenGL does the matrix math for you.

Doesn''t every graphics API?

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Ill edit the flame material out of my post for you.

And I don''t remember DX doing the matrices for me.
Ill edit the flame material out of my post for you.

And I don''t remember DX doing the matrices for me.

Two contradictory statements (the second is more flame material). DirectX includeds D3DX. ''Nuff said.
I haven''t used enough of Direct3D 8 to argue any points with it, but I said that I do not remember Direct X [7] doing the matrices for me. I don''t see how that is flame material.

Really though. They are basically at the same level right now. More people use DirectX probably because there are DirectX books titled:

"Special Effects in Direct X"
"Creating RPG''s in DirectX" (Not sure if that is the exact title but it is pretty close and by Prima.)
"Beginning Direct3D Game Programming"

and for OpenGL there is:

"OpenGL Game Programming"
And the Red Book(And Blue Book if you actually think it is worth the money.)

In truth, they are not much different. Go to the book store and look through the first chapter of the books "OpenGL Game Programming" and "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming" and see what appeals to you. If both seem allright, then ask the closest person what sounds better like I said before.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement