RPGs... HELP!!!!

Started by
9 comments, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 9 months ago
I need some help. I''m trying to create a tile-based RPG, but I need some help with some of the stuff. It''s the first time I''m messing with anything this complex, and there are a lot of things I''m having trouble with. First of all, there''s the interface. I plan to do it with MFC (like those business apps you see), using CFormView, but there''s the problem of displaying stuff. I thought of a Custom Control, but I need some help making one for an RPG! Then there are also the problem with sprites. Up until know, my "sprites" consisted of basic shapes, like squares and circles. I need some decent images of people and monsters. Finally, there''s the tile-based thing. I''m trying to gather information on the subject, but I have a long way to go until I can make decent levels. That''s also another thing. What about levels? Do I need to make a level and editor, and how? And so on....
- DarkMage139
Advertisement
Before you start...
Are you sure you want to do this in MFC? Really sure? Have you ever tried using MFC for anything realtime?

(Let it be noted for this, that I happen to like MFC. I do it for a living. My last two games were written in MFC, and are custom controls, however, they are simple board games for which MFC is well-suited. I am not bashing MFC here, but I do know what MFC is capable of.)

If you don''t already know how to do custom controls and aren''t an MFC/GDI wizard, you might want to seriously consider learning DirectX instead and using it. There are hybrids, like those found on www.codeguru.com, that use both MFC and DirectX, if your heart is set on using MFC, but I personally would never use MFC for anything as complex and time-dependent as a full-scale RPG.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
I would have to agree with our illustrious moderator. MFC is fine for business apps and possibly small games. I wouldn't recommend it for anything as complex as an RPG. You're going to have enough to worry about without having to deal with MFC's quirks. Check out the article on creating an inteface:

Gui Interface Article

As far as sprites there are tons of them on the net. You really only need one or two to get started and they can be used as placeholders until you find an artist. Check this out:

Sprite Pack

I would suggest getting your data down before trying to make a level editor (you will need one for any decent RPG). Think about all the things you'll want to be able to do in your RPG - do you want scripted events and scripts for NPC's ala Baldur's Gate, etc. All this stuff should be down before writing your level editor. Check out other articles on this site for tile format structure and all the other good stuff you'll need to decide on. All of this should be in your design doc (you do have one don't you! ) before doing any coding.

Breakaway Games

Edited by - Machaira on 1/25/00 10:16:26 AM

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

A lot of RPGs I''ve played are turn-based. I''m not going for Diablo or Baldur''s Gate. I once played an Win32 RPG made before DirectX and (believe it or not!) it rocked!

It ran on the native Win32 engine, with stuff like GDI, was totally message-based (no realtime). Still, there are few RPGs even today that can beat its gameplay. So I am sure about MFC (though I probably will use DirectSound and DirectMusic, not to mention I may create some basic AVIs as credits and homemade "cutscenes").

Oh, and yes, I have a design doc (story, interface, etc.), and I don''t plan to make a level editor before I make a game.

And one more thing. I''ve gone over the entire design doc I''ve got, and I''m sure I can pull this one off using MFC.

Thanks, though!
- DarkMage139
My, what a nice post. I''m sure all the MFC fans out there will enjoy this...
*lol*

Good one, Anonymous, for a moment you had me puzzled. I didn't think DM139 would ask for help on an RPG. Must have been a newbie then.

"Natalie Portman is hot. I have spoken..." - ILNP

Edited by - ILoveNataliePortman on July 19, 2000 5:59:14 AM
"Natalie Portman is hot. I have spoken..." - ILNP
Bringing up the past, AP?

Heh, I remember when I made that. The term "newbie" totally applied to me.

Of course, I remember the more interesting memory of being bored to death while studying certain MFC features. I think I gave up while reading the part about CDocument.

Too bad I lost the design doc when my comp crashed.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
I''m making an RPG in java-script and I have the tiling, collision detection, and NPC''s almost all done, in one day even, and I couldn''t really think straight yesterday. I plan on making it turn based. Once I get the NPC''s to walk (should be pretty easy) I will be able to get the to talk also. How long do you think it should take between each of the NPC''s steps? Also, I believe I can implement a city editor (even though my source code is so easy to read and manipulate, even the code for the cities looks like the cities, a really nice effect), and eventually use CGI to make it multiplayer. One feature that not many RPGS use is vehicles, specifically non-controllable vehicles on which story could advance. Once I have a more workable version (can only walk around and avoid running on top of other people right now) I''ll put it online for you all to see. I have had a tiling engine running well know for a couple of months, but it was a little slow. My new one is going really fast though, so wish me luck. Maybe you should all switch to browser games. Inversed did.

"YOU APES WANNA LIVE FOREVER?" Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
"Who wants to live forever?" Queen
"Never trust a bald barber" me
B^)
darkmage! I have arrived! First of all I want to ask you why you are doing it in MFC when it is gonna be harder? SOrry if I bashed MFC, I haven''t begun to try that, but im sure its dandy..but for an RPG?

Secondly, tiles are what im beggining to get into, so if anyone has a good tutorial on regular tiles, you know like the ches board kind a la FF5 and 6..let me know!

Next thing: How is the dialoug and stuff gonna be done with MFC? HOw are you gonna draw tiles and stuff with MFC?? Lots of thought, but not enough brain cells to figure it out.

Real time battle are not at all hard to implement..just have a variable that counts from 0 to hundred, incrementing by the speed each animation loop...bam bang boom, you got real time battles.

Im still trying to figure out my pre-rendered background i got help on a long time ago..

that is about all i can say for now, but mfc is still keeping my head reeling..

My view on programming, what It means to me, what it meant to me. ~Squall012
Guys, I posted this in my newbie days. Among the stupid things I did was always use that feature that emailed me whenever someone responed, so please don''t respond, I don''t want to see a hundred "You have mail" messages on my inbox.

Ferinorius: Play Exile. My MFC game (which was never finished) was modeled after it technologically. Secondly, MFC is just a Win32 wrapper, it doesn''t slow a game down THAT much (though I wouldn''t recommend making a Quake clone with it). Third, MFC isn''t that hard when you get used to it...

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement