• Create Account

3d Modelers?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Peoples Champ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 January 2000 - 04:15 PM

I''m new at game programming and I was told that I need a 3d modeler. Can anyone help me on which one to get. I looked at quite a few and most were too damn much. I want to spend a lot of money, but if i have too, i want to spend it on a good 3d modeler. Can anyone help me please?

Sponsor:

#2 Gromit   Members   -  Reputation: 144

Posted 26 January 2000 - 04:47 PM

You don''t need a 3D modeler for 2D graphics, unless it is prerenderd 3D->2D sprites. You could start out like that. But if you insist on a 3D package, the cheapest you can get is truespace 1.0, it was released free of charge. They want to hook you on thier package so you buy the newest one.

There are a couple other free-ware packages out there but I can''t remember the names off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

#3 Stefpet   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 January 2000 - 10:40 PM

Usually, if you''re new to game programming - getting a 3D-modeller is the last thing to worry about.

(unless you already now 3D-programming from somewhere else)

#4 Xipe   Members   -  Reputation: 140

Posted 28 January 2000 - 08:25 AM

TrueSpace 1.x - Free
Animation Master - Cheap, last time I looked it was $199 - and this is a really good package mind you!
Nendo - $99, this is a modeler ONLY! Guess you could use it in conjunction with TrueSpace for a really cheap package with a good modeler...

Those are the cheap choices I know of, ofcourse there are also modelers available that are specific to some games (like Hlaf-Life and Quake II modelers), you could go that way aswell...

If you only want to make a few low poly models I''d go to PlanetQuake.com and search for game-specific modelers there. If you want to get into 3D in general I''d recommend buying Animation Master (until you can afford Lightwave 3D . The cheap alternative would be TrueSpace 1.x, perhaps together with Nendo (Nendo is a very well suited for low poly and organic modeling)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS