• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Music?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Black   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 27 January 2000 - 11:35 PM

I know this is a little off the wall and this is just me being curious. But do any of you guys/girls listen to specific music when you program. I just thought it would be interesting to know if programmers listen to the same sort of music for inspiration. For the record (and I know I''ll get flamed for this ) I listen to 80''s Chease Metal when I code.

Sponsor:

#2 GalaxyD   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2000 - 12:25 AM

That''s a really good question. If it''s not too thought-intensive, I like to listen to Baroque music--Bach especially.

2mikes.com

FEE

#3 Squall012   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2000 - 12:26 AM

This is probably weird, but I listen to all kinds of music, from stuff like star wars, to stuff like Sugar Ray, to even some rap from time to time. But it really doesnt affect teh way I code. If I am writing a story, it affects that, but not code.

#4 Kavos   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2000 - 12:35 AM

Accually I listen to video game music while working on my design doc, It help me think about rpg stuff

My favorates right now are Frog''s theme (Chrono Trigger)
and Man with the Machine Gun (FF8)

#5 Melo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2000 - 02:32 AM

I always listen to Techno, Rave or some movie soundtracks.
I like Scooter, Ayla, DJ Taylor & Flow, Chicane, Schiller,... (and of course the SUNSHINE LIVE radio station - that's what PyroFlo surely wants me to say)

Edited by - Melo on 1/28/00 8:33:33 AM

#6 errand   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2000 - 02:38 AM

I like to listen to some old Swedish punk band or some kind of "harder" stuff like Offspring/Scooter while I code.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.

#7 PyroFlo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2000 - 02:46 AM

Yeah..

Melo is completely right HEHE!!

TECHNO RULES - I LOVE TECHNO TOO!!
SUNSHINE LIVE RULEZ TOO!!

hehe!

Abfahrt....

CU
PyroFlo
LISTEN 2 TECHNO!!!!

#8 Paladin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2000 - 03:03 AM

Hmm.. I''m usually trying to listen something "easy going" during coding, because I will get somehow little bored if I''m listening Heavy, even after it''s my favorite style... Usually I''m listening bands like Sentenced, Metallica, HIM, and so on, but when I''m coding... hmm... Anime / JPOP music, Sugar Ray / Bloodhoud Gang, or demo-music, like Second Reality - Purplemotion.

Those bands keep me in mood

#9 Melo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2000 - 03:22 AM

Yep - HIM is quite good, too.

And Sunshine Live is the best radio station in south Germany!!

#10 I-Shaolin   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 28 January 2000 - 04:45 AM

It depends. Sometimes I like to listen to rather heavy alternitive and metal, but usually I just turn the TV on or listen to talk radio over the internet. When I am working on difficult code or if I am having problems, I usually opt for silence.

#11 felisandria   Members   -  Reputation: 739

Posted 28 January 2000 - 06:01 AM

I have to be pretty careful what I listen to while writing games at times, because what I''ve been listening to coding strongly affects me when I get around to writing the sound track. I like alternative and industrial bands in general, but I have a ton of classical music CDs to get proper inspiration... though 8 hours straight of Strauss (to get the "nice light background boardgame music") can get really old, so I try to get a sketch of the themes done as soon as I can so I can listen to something else without adverse effects.

-fel

#12 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1248

Posted 28 January 2000 - 06:33 AM

I generally listen to classical music. It is okay for the first hour or so but after that it can get annoying. Then I might listen to some dance or alternative. Then i go back to classical.

#13 Melo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2000 - 11:14 PM

I like this New Age / Classical style, too. Especially the XMs by a spanish guy called ''AWESOME'' (I think his real name is Victor Vegera).

#14 Atlantis_   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 January 2000 - 01:18 AM

Trance (especially Ayla - they rule!!!) or dream music is my fav when programming.
Techno and Club are very good too.

It inspires me alot!

Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead.

Edited by - Atlantis_ on 1/29/00 7:19:13 AM

#15 altair734   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 January 2000 - 01:47 AM

Sometimes I''ll listen to 3rd Eye Blind, also I might listen to Smash Mouth or Everclear from time to time.

altair
altair734@yahoo.com
crawlegend.iwarp.com

#16 ZomeonE   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 January 2000 - 01:53 AM

I listen to Techno/Trance/Club music when I''m in front of my computer!

#17 Roderik   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 January 2000 - 02:41 AM

Well, I listen to 3 very different kinds of music:
1. Blind Guardian or Manowar
2. Bach, especially the Brandenburg Concerts, sometimes also
medieval european music.
3. Ultima-Music, especially those of U3-U5.
There is no particular reason for me to listen to one of them, a special mood I''m in; it''s just completely random...

#18 Staffan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 January 2000 - 03:45 AM

Old (Swedish) punk, rock (preferably from the 80''s), goa and trance. "Anarchy in the UK" can really get me in the right mood

#19 PoesRaven   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 January 2000 - 02:38 PM

i usually listen to either Vivaldi, or the Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid, or the Butthole Surfers

#20 foofightr   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 29 January 2000 - 05:22 PM

i listen to all sorts of stuff while coding (mostly mp3 files), but absolutely no rap or country.. dear god..

right now im listening to good old Phil Collins songs from the 80s

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS