• Create Account

[java] java game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 deakin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 January 2000 - 09:55 PM

Hi, I''ve recently been learning java and I was wondering what would be a good game to make to sort of test my knowledge a bit (it would have to be an applet). Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Captain Goatse   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 31 January 2000 - 12:19 AM

First game I ever wrote was Worm game, I can post scouce for you, but you must try it by yourself first

#3 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2000 - 07:16 AM

When i was at pizza hut last i saw a modified Pong game that I wanted to try and code. It was setup like a hockey rink. You didn''t score by getting the ball (puck) past your opponents paddle, but by getting it into a net. Sort of adds another level to pong. and hockey pong adds the ability to include good sounds and animation. Lights and air horns and crowd roars...

I would say, do hockey pong and learn about the very basics of game coding, and the whole of game design, which includes excellent graphics and sound, high scores, opening screens & demo modes which the game cycles through untill someone starts playing it.... and so on.

#4 javanerd   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 February 2000 - 08:53 AM

You should also check Geoff Howlands (Chief Executive Officer of this gamedev.net website) page at:
http://www.lupinegames.com/

At the front page you find a table with dates, dated at 06-28-99 there is an article called "How do I make games?". In the article he lays out a "roadmap" for aspiring game programmers to follow, starting with Tetris and then advancing to more complicated things.

#5 deakin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 February 2000 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the help. I read the article by Geoff Howland a few days ago, actually. Some version of pong is a good idea, I might do something like that. Thanks again!

#6 Wrathnut   Members   -  Reputation: 375

Posted 07 February 2000 - 12:09 AM

I have to say I read that article too and I thought that was truly one of the best articles I''ve read on this site for a awhile( aside from the technical ones which have a merit all their own).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS