• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

accessing screen buffer of other programs

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

#21 LordKronos   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 January 2002 - 04:01 AM

Doh...brain meltdown. You are right, I was thinking color buffer.

However, it is also possible that the zbuffer is not cleared. If you dont know, there is a trick you can do where (with a zrange of 0 to 1) you use NearClipPlane=0.0, FarClipPlane=0.5 on frame with a Z compare of <=, and then the next frame use NearClipPlane=1.0, FarClipPlane=0.5 with a Z compare of >=, then repeat this process every 2 frames.

I am NOT saying UT does this, just speculating that it COULD. perhaps a run of glTrace could tell you.

Sponsor:

#22 cody   Members   -  Reputation: 199

Posted 08 January 2002 - 09:56 AM

i have put my screenshot function into ClearZ() to test, so every it should make a screenshot. i was running the intro scene.
a few seconds it runs smooth and then it gets interupted.
later i checked that realy no screenshot was written before this interuption.

now im looking at OpenGlDrv.ini:

[Default]
MinLogTextureSize=3
MaxLogTextureSize=10
MaxLogUOverV=10
MaxLogVOverU=10
UseZTrick=1
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=1
DoPrecache=1
ShareLists=1
AlwaysMipmap=1

UseZTrick?? i will check that later...

#23 LordKronos   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 January 2002 - 10:15 AM

The most info I could find on UseZTrick was this:

"Changing UseZTrick=1 to 0 can fix Z-buffer related problems, although as above may reduce performance. You can also fix Z-buffer errors by running the game with a 32-bit colour depth."

Nothing more. This might be the trick I just mentioned earlier, as that trick does increase performance (by avoiding a clear) and it can cause z artifacts (as it wastes 1 bit of precision, since only half the zbuffer is used each frame). Try disabling it, I have a feeling ClearZ() will get called

#24 LilBudyWizer   Members   -  Reputation: 491

Posted 08 January 2002 - 11:16 AM

No input will be available in its slowed down state? Surely you jest. The only problem with my suggestion is that it takes a lot of knowledge he most likely doesn''t have. More importantly the value of that knowledge for him is most likely substantially less than the cost of acquiring it. I might be a bit cheaper to buy a video card with a composite or s-video output. That would be too easy though.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS