• Create Account

fast way to decide what object is seen

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 DocJunioR   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 January 2002 - 08:46 AM

Hi again, I wanna know if there''s another way to decide which Object (of billions of objects ) is seen on screen. First way I mention is to have them in a list an compare the objects coordinates to the actual cam lookat. This may be very slow in a bigger world. hope you can tell me a faster one. cya && thx DjR

Sponsor:

#2 BerLan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 January 2002 - 09:33 AM

You'll have to use a combination of algorithms to perform fast visibility determination. Visibility isn't an easy problem on 3D-graphics, so you'll have to study it to find the best solution for your app. But here's a few things that might help:

You can use space-subdivision. Octrees, quadtrees and bsp-trees are commonly used for this.

After that, do your regular frustrum-culling for the remaining 3d-objects.

At this point you can do occlusion culling and remove objects that are left totally behind other objects. There are a few algorithms to do this.

If there still are visible objects, do contribution culling for them. This means that you'll check how many pixels the 3d-object will be on the screen. If it only takes 1 or 2 pixels it can be removed since it contributes very little to the final image.

Edited by - BerLan on January 6, 2002 4:36:40 PM

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS