• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Burning PS2 CDs?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 TUna   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 January 2002 - 02:53 PM

I''m having a bit of difficulty burning a PS2 cd. What settings need to be used? I can''t seem to get CDRWIN to use my boot image, and Nero burns the CD but then the PS2 doesn''t execute them properly - it "locks up" at the playstation logo screen. I''m trying to create the NapLink CD (http://naplink.napalm-x.com) so that I can easily test my PS2 code. Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 scaught   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 January 2002 - 03:03 PM

It''s more than likely one of three things:

1) An incorrect system.cnf file
2) A missing/misplaced/invalid executable
3) A missing/misplaced/invalid IRX

The fact that it got the the logo screen is a good sign that it found *something* - the fact that it didn''t get past it means its probably your fault.

(note: this is the things I would check when burning a CD for use on a real debug station. I have no idea if it is the same for a modchipped home system.)

-scott

#3 TUna   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 January 2002 - 04:01 PM

I''m testing the code on a debug station, it''s not a chipped home system.

Heres what my system.cnf looks like (direct from the naplink release):

BOOT2 = cdrom0:\NAPLINK.ELF;1
VER = 1.10
VMODE = NTSC

Does that look correct? I''m not quite sure what the ;1 is for? Should that be there? Should that be part of the filename?

Should there be some specific order in the way I place the files on the disk?

The files could be corrupt, but I doubt it as they are direct from the naplink homesite.

Thanks again

#4 scaught   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 January 2002 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, the ;1 is ok - it''s part of the filename necessary for CD access. (version number? I can''t remember - it''s part of the ISO standard, tho)

Everything else is ok, too. (cdrom should be in lower case, everything else in upper, \ instead of /, etc.)

I think you can safely check off the system.cnf as the culprit.

As for the files, NAPLINK.ELF should be in the root of the directory - also make sure that any .irx it needs is where it needs it. (hmm - i just looked and the distribution quickly - it looks like they should just be at the root...)

Is there any chance you have a PAL debug station?

Sorry I can''t be any more help...

-scott

#5 TUna   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 January 2002 - 04:21 PM

Nope, its definately NTSC.

I should be burning the CD in ISO Mode2? And setting the boot image to naplink.elf?

Theres no other special settings I need to look out for?

What software do you use for burning the CDs?

Thanks

#6 scaught   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 January 2002 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, it should be Mode2/2352 bytes per sector? (I''m not sure if that number''s right...)

Hmm, I don''t think you need to mess with the boot image - that sounds like it adds extra info the disc that the PS2 might hate you for.

We actually go through a pretty complicated process that involves CDVDGen (which is Sony''s official burning program that only works with specific Sony burners).

Actually, I''m curious as to how they expect it to work - I thought there needed to be some important info on the disc (region encoding, among other things). Perhaps naplink was only meant to work on modchipped systems?

Cheers,
-scott

#7 TUna   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 January 2002 - 09:22 AM

Does the PS2 support any other formats than ISO 9660 Mode 2? I''ve checked out the ISO standard and it says the "-" is not a valid filename character.

The two naplink .irx files have -''s in them. So as far as I can see this can''t work in Mode 2, however other people have managed to get this to work.

#8 scaught   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 January 2002 - 10:25 AM

Hmm. The only thing I could think of is the difference between a modchipped home unit and an official debug box...it''s entirely possible that the methods used to circumvent the cd/dvd check is allowing the naplink CD to execute as well - so far as I understand it, the naplink thing was made for home users...

So, since you have a debug unit, do you have access to CDVDGen? If you don''t, it''s available on Sony''s dev site (assuming you''re a licensed dev - and not just someone who happened to come across a dev unit. ). There''s also a program there that supposedly lets you convert CDVDGen->ISO to burn with Nero or EZCD, but I personally have not gotten that to work...(it thought our PS2 game was a PS1 disc (and still wouldn''t boot it))

-scott

#9 TUna   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 January 2002 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the help, I''ve found a contact whos supposidly got this to work on a dev station, will let you know how I progress.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS