• Create Account

C++ Ide's

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Holocron   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 January 2002 - 11:58 AM

Right now I am using an old copy of Borland C++, I have noticed that most of the GameDev community swares by Microsoft Visual C++. Whats the difference between Visual C++ and C++. Is there a difference? Why is Visual C++ so popular? I have the Students edition of Visual C++ and I have downloaded code that was written in Visual C++ and I do see some differences. Im looking to buy a new C++ IDE very soon any suggestions? Holocron

Sponsor:

#2 TerranFury   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 09 January 2002 - 12:16 PM

Personally, I use MSVC++6 IDE with the Intel compiler.

Visual C++ is just a piece of software; its a C++ IDE and compiler. You can use another compiler with the MSVC++ IDE (not always too easily! The Intel one integrates seamlessly though.).

Microsoft''s C++ compiler, which comes with VC++, is not entirely compliant with the ANSI standard. There''s the notorious FOR loop scoping problem, and some template and inheritance/polymophism problems. All in all, it''s still not a bad compiler. I just use the Intel one since it can write code using MMX/SSE instructions. The Intel one, AFAIK, has the same incompatibilities as the MS one.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS