• Create Account

I am a newbie. I am going to learn C++ and Directx but which Directx?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 mx1   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 January 2002 - 04:03 AM

Hi all. I am new and I have been reading up on C++ and I need to know which version of Directx should I learn. I have Directx 8 SDK but I have not used it yet. It seems that it is missing Directdraw I guess, is that bad? If I have no prior experiencewhich should I learn? Directx 7, 8 or both? If you recommend 7 please tell me where I can get it. Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1678

Posted 15 January 2002 - 04:07 AM

If you are just learning, go with the latest version (8.1). The omission of DirectDraw isn''t a bad thing; you can still implement 2D graphics using the new DirectX Graphics.

My expert opinion.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

#3 mx1   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 January 2002 - 04:13 AM

Thank you for the reply.

#4 CaptainJester   Members   -  Reputation: 523

Posted 15 January 2002 - 04:58 AM

You can still use the DirectX 7 interfaces with the DirectX 8 SDK if you want. You can also download the DirectX7 SDK from the archives at Microsoft.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS