• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Paintshop pro...Photoshop

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

#1 BINS   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 February 2000 - 02:18 PM

I just need some opinions here...Is there really a difference between Paintshop pro and Photoshop..which one would be the better bang for the buck? Thanks ***BINS***

Sponsor:

#2 deakin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 February 2000 - 10:28 PM

In my opinion, you can do a lot more with photoshop, but then photoshop costs a lot more. Paintshop pro is definetely good though - so if you can''t afford photoshop (like me) go for paintshop pro.

#3 Necro   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 February 2000 - 12:45 AM

photoshop..

¨but of course i say that cause i cant do anything with psp!

#4 BINS   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 February 2000 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for you opinions guys ...I think I''m going to get Photoshop, I''ve heard better things about it..

***BINS***

#5 rgillen   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 February 2000 - 07:12 AM

Hey, if you''re still reading this...
I got a free copy of Photoshop LE when I bought my CD-RW. (It was for making CD labels.) If you''re worried about cost (and looking to buy some hardware anyway), maybe you could find a similar deal. Keep your eyes peeled.

Rob

#6 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 February 2000 - 08:04 AM

More bang for your buck? definitely paint shop pro. New version 6 is not far behind photoshop in performance, just price.

#7 evaclear   Members   -  Reputation: 162

Posted 07 February 2000 - 08:35 AM

Here is the deal.

Paint Shop is a fairly good tool for creating graphics. For the average home user or programmer/artist it''s a good deal.

PhotoShop is an extremly well put togeather program, if you want to create cutting edge graphics. Photoshop is an industry standard and is used in TV, Film, Web, Games, 2d textures for models etc. You also get alot more support with photoshop, there are about 2000 tutorials for it on the internet on how to create reailistic images and textures. It''s quite professional, and it takes minimal effort to create professional looking graphics in it. The only downfall to photoshop is it''s price which is intended for "Professionals" and not the weekend user.

#8 RPGElite   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 February 2000 - 09:01 AM

I would definitely say photoshop.
I have Photoshop 5, and it is just so easy to use!

I DLed a copy of paintshop pro demo to see whether it was any good before I bought pshop, and quite frankly I hated it.
The interface in psp is SHIT, to be quite honest. The only program with a worse interface that I can think of is Adobe Illustrator or the old DOS program edlin.

Pshop, on the other hand, has a very user-intuitive interface, and with all the tutorials available (from places like www.alexdg.com, www.designsbymark.com, and www.aquariumsoftware.com.au/photoshop, to name a few) you can learn how to do very complex stuff in pshop very easily, and a lot of schools (even my high school!) offer computer graphics classes that use photoshop.

gameguru4@yahoo.com

#9 Stefpet   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 February 2000 - 09:24 AM

This is first a matter of taste... And you won''t a fair opinion by someone who''ve "always" used Photoshop and just "tried" PSP or vice versa.

The best is to evaluate both products yourself and see which fits you.

Personally I moved over from Photoshop to PSP because, in my opinion, PSP is faster, and have a more standard windows user interface.

...and PaintShopPro has a much more pleasant pricetag.

However, I''ve used both products professionally in website development.

#10 Tha_HoodRat   Members   -  Reputation: 143

Posted 07 February 2000 - 10:29 AM

I have both programs , I use psp for sprites and everything else I use photoshop . The only fucked up thing about photoshop is that somehow those dickheads at adobe fucked up the standard bmp format so you either have to write a special bmp reader for adobe or save the photoshop bmp in paint .

#11 dog135   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 February 2000 - 11:24 AM

I've never used Paintshop pro but I have PhotoShop 5. I also have PhotoDelux which is about $50 (PhotoShop's smaller version). It has a lot of the features of PhotoShop including the same pluggins but it's a lot cheaper. There's still a lot of features missing. I got PhotoDelux 2.0 with my scanner and it's a lot better then 1.0. It allows more then 6 layers for instance.

Does anyone here know if PhotoDelux is that much better then Paintshop Pro? Like I said, I've never used PS Pro.

BTW: PhotoShop LE is only $80.

E:cb woof!

Edited by - dog135 on 2/7/00 5:25:30 PM

#12 wardekar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 February 2000 - 12:40 PM

I originally used PSP, but got a copy of photoshop and found it MUCH better. I still use PSP to export to different formats since photoshop can only do GIF. Photoshop''s effects, tutorials, and layers help me out a lot in web site design.

~WarDekar

#13 dog135   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 February 2000 - 05:54 AM

You must have a really old version of PhotoShop then. I can export to almost any format. Even with PhotoDelux.

I think I know what you''re doing wrong. When you save your image, don''t do a "save as...", do a "save a copy". Then it''ll let you choose the format to save as.

"save as..." tries to save all the layer information so it won''t let you choose a format that doesn''t support layers, that being everything except the photoshop format. "save a copy" will flatten the image in memory before saving it so it doesn''t need to save the layer information. It helps to read the book, big as it is.

#14 digisoap   Members   -  Reputation: 241

Posted 09 February 2000 - 10:20 AM

A program that''s been all but ignored in this line of replies is Corel''s PhotoPaint. The newest version (8 or 9 - I can''t remember offhand) supports Photoshop layers and effects, and also features quite a few little things I bet Adobe wishes they had though of first. Unlike Photoshop, which doesn''t allow you to export to html (though imageready does w/ PS5.5), you can split a graphics up in PhotoPaint and export to HTML with tables and all. It''s a good place to start site design from if you''re new to HTML. Also, take into consideration that if you buy the CorelDraw Suite package (about $499 I think) you get Corel Draw, PhotoPaint, a raster->vector converter, a fractal texture generator, just tons of stuff, all for under the price of PhotoShop. Those of you who really want bang for the buck should check out this suite on the corel website.

-Nick Robalik
http://www.digital-soapbox.com

#15 deakin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 February 2000 - 11:05 PM

I''ve used a bit of corel photopaint and I didn''t like it much... those "objects" really annoyed me.

I got photodeluxe with my scanner too and I''d say I like it more that paintshop pro, although paintshop pro is good for editing really small images like sprites.

#16 dog135   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 February 2000 - 04:40 AM

I''ve noticed a lot of people say they like PS Pro better for painting sprites, why is that? I''ve used Photoshop for sprites before and I like the way the pen uses anti-aliasing when drawing to give the sprite a softer look. Does PS Pro have better tools for working with smaller images?

#17 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 10 February 2000 - 10:28 AM

not really, ps pro has a tool menu that u can ajust the size of the brush, and shange brush forms(square, cirle,...)

respond to the person who said ps pro has a bad interphase, u did not really learned it. once u learned it is a very cool interphase

#18 dog135   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 February 2000 - 11:43 AM

You can adjust the brush in PhotoShop too. Even use an image for a brush. But not in PhotoDelux.

#19 Maluke   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 February 2000 - 10:43 PM

Check teh Fractal Design Painter 5 or higher. It''s definately the best for Painting. I mean posters, real ART, flyers, an yalternative styles - everything. Where else can you rotate drawing canvas to make drawing more comfortable?? I still use PhotoShop 5.0 for aftereffects.

[Cause nobody can do it like mixmaster can]-+-+-{BEaSTy BOYs}

Maluke [MLKent@mail.ru]

#20 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 12 February 2000 - 01:43 PM

I have both and most of the time I''m working with layers, texture,
and zooming in/out a lot, so I use Photoshop. PSP turned me off
IN THE VERY BEGINNING because the UI was terrible. But I still
use it for small things. PSP may have some great features, but
IT AINT PHOTOSHOP.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS